Whats wrong here (WTF Pypes?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
A tweeker still needs to load the pipe into the worn out, out of spec machine. And who is doing the QC and QA? Another high dollar engineer or a functioning tweeker?

I get it, it should be right. But it isn't and they aren't going to fix it because no one wants those jobs at those wages.

If you look at the hours of work I put into my Pypes kit, it ends up looking just like this: https://www.holley.com/products/ls_...aust_systems_and_mufflers/parts/70501364-RHKR (and I had to purchase and fab all the extras (hangers, mounts, clamps, etc)). Still want to save $250? Be prepared to make some adjustments to the Pypes kit.

Holley is large enough to over come the tweeker-factor... for a price.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I ran the trig (because I am a nerd) and 1 to 2 degrees seemed a bit small.

If the pipe is 9" too tall, and there is 36" from the bend to the end of the pipe, the bend is off 15 degrees.
upload_2018-5-30_10-42-58.png

If it was 5 feet from the bend to the end, it would still be off 8 degrees.
upload_2018-5-30_10-49-3.png

I've bought 2 pypes kits and for the price I think they are awesome.

That being said, clearly an out of tolerance part. Too bad they are being a pain on it.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Unless I'm mistaken the Pypes kits are made in China. I have a 'crossmember back' side exit kit for my car but haven't gotten around to installing it. The clamps and hangers don't impress me at all and I'll likely replace them with something better. I hope it will fit bettet than the kit pagrunt is having trouble with. If not, I will slice and dice and overcome it. I do agree that the quality of the right hand tailpipe and Pypes response is unacceptable but I also agree that it is an inexpensive stainless exhaust made overseas so there shouldn't be a ton of surprise with the fitment issue. My suggestion is to modify the offending pipe or have it adjusted at a local exhaust shop. Sell the other kit for 1/2 price and you have a virtually free stainless steel exhaust system. Summit's response to put the body and interior on the frame is ludicrous but at least they made a good faith effort to make it right.

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I do most of the work on my car but for the exhaust I brought it into a shop who sponsors a pro late model in the circle track division we ran in. I supplied the spun SS magnaflow catalytic convertors and the SS magniflow mufflers and they did the custom 2.5" SS exhaust. The price was $600 and in 4 years the only thing I have replaced is a couple of hangers. it's not often I can say I got more than my money's worth when I got my GP worked on.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Summit's response to put the body and interior on the frame is ludicrous but at least they made a good faith effort to make it right.
That was actually Pypes response about the fit when I first contacted them, Summit wasted no time to fix the issue since I already called in a claim on the condition the bax was in when delivered. I did stop at the only shop in my area that bends stainless, he said he could fix Pypes mistake but would really need the car to do it right. Now I'll have to look into all options on this with rebending, going with the side exit kit, another brand. I will like to atleast get one of the pipes fixed to be able to sell the extra if possible. Understanding you get what you pay for in regards on kit X being $*** & kit Y being $XXXX, I wanted stainless so I asked about to go with an X pipe or not expecting some fairly acceptable quality under $500, not thinking that was the wrong angle for picking a set. Trying to budget the whole build to cover unexpected repairs & parts I figured the Pypes kit was a better choice with muffler options & the recomended X pipe. Now with this "our quality control issue is your proplem not ours" deal doesn't make this a a situation I wanted to get into. Regardless of income of any person in this hobby, you spend a good chunk of change, you expect a product that fits as it was designed. I do understand that I would have to atleast trim pipes to get the fit I want. I am a bit fustrated still about this. I won't be happy with them for the response. There are things I would like to do to make myself happy with them but none of them is the right way to resolve this, would make sense, would cause me more trouble than it's worth, & most likely illegal. I believe my ramblings here shows my disdain of this. But I do welcome some insight & comments on all of this.

stuckincincy

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2011
Greater Cincinnati area
I had the same problem with them a couple of years ago and got a similar run around. My kit had a two piece tailpipe that was butt welded together in the wrong position. They also sent me a new tailpipe, it was still off but not as bad as the first. I was able to cut the pipe at the joint and clock it in the right orientation. I can't believe after all these years they still say it's not their fault.

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
I experienced the same thing a few years ago also. One tailpipe was out, tech support was no help, but finally got another set shipped that were closer. There was a thread on here about it. I could see where they had miswelded the hanger bracket, cut it off and tried to grind it smooth.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I had the same problem with them a couple of years ago and got a similar run around. My kit had a two piece tailpipe that was butt welded together in the wrong position. They also sent me a new tailpipe, it was still off but not as bad as the first. I was able to cut the pipe at the joint and clock it in the right orientation. I can't believe after all these years they still say it's not their fault.

Is that Corsair you have for your avatar your daily flyer?.....:cool:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That was actually Pypes response about the fit when I first contacted them, Summit wasted no time to fix the issue since I already called in a claim on the condition the bax was in when delivered. I did stop at the only shop in my area that bends stainless, he said he could fix Pypes mistake but would really need the car to do it right. Now I'll have to look into all options on this with rebending, going with the side exit kit, another brand. I will like to atleast get one of the pipes fixed to be able to sell the extra if possible. Understanding you get what you pay for in regards on kit X being $*** & kit Y being $XXXX, I wanted stainless so I asked about to go with an X pipe or not expecting some fairly acceptable quality under $500, not thinking that was the wrong angle for picking a set. Trying to budget the whole build to cover unexpected repairs & parts I figured the Pypes kit was a better choice with muffler options & the recomended X pipe. Now with this "our quality control issue is your proplem not ours" deal doesn't make this a a situation I wanted to get into. Regardless of income of any person in this hobby, you spend a good chunk of change, you expect a product that fits as it was designed. I do understand that I would have to atleast trim pipes to get the fit I want. I am a bit fustrated still about this. I won't be happy with them for the response. There are things I would like to do to make myself happy with them but none of them is the right way to resolve this, would make sense, would cause me more trouble than it's worth, & most likely illegal. I believe my ramblings here shows my disdain of this. But I do welcome some insight & comments on all of this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying for a second that you don't have every right to be disappointed. You do. Also not saying $500 isn't a lot of money, because it is. I guess, unfortunately, I've come to expect this. I've installed four stainless exhaust systems in the past 10 years. Borla, Waldron's, Stainless Works, Magnaflow. All of them were more expensive than these Pypes kits for our G Bodies. None fit perfect out of the box.

The Magnaflow cat-back for my Dad's truck fit the best but took some tweaking. Acceptable. The Waldron's Stainless Exhaust for his Galaxie fit terrible. We had to send the H-Pipe back the first time it was so far off. The replacement one never fit well enough to seal at both manifolds. We've had a local shop work on the system at least twice and quite a bit of the original system has been scrapped. Unacceptable but what are you going to do but move on?

The Borla cat-back on my truck (expensive) didn't fit perfect. It had a hanger for the extension pipe hammering on the frame that I had to modify. The y-pipe that came with my Dynatech long tube headers (very expensive) on my truck doesn't fit quite right. It is too close to the transmission crossmember. I've worked on it but it needs more work.

The 3" exhaust system from Stainless Works for my brother's LS swapped 78 Z28 (very expensive) took a lot of work to get it to fit right. The tailpipes were so far off we just bobbed them behind each rear wheel. It turned out well but he technically didn't get what he paid for.

Maybe I shouldn't feel this way but I expect to have to work on the Pypes kit for my car. I can mig weld and I'm going to have to fill in the blanks between the crossmember and the headers anyway so I intend to get the stainless wire and a tank of the right gas so I can weld this stainless material.

All this being said, I don't understand why they can't seem to make exhaust that fits out of the box. I also don't understand why the local shop you went to can't fix that pipe for you without the car. If you take the system up there and lay it out on the ground like you did in the picture you posted earlier in this thread, I don't see why they can't adjust the passenger tail pipe until it is laying down like the driver's side. I don't see why they can't use the driver's side as a "go-by".

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying for a second that you don't have every right to be disappointed.
I didn't mean to sound like I was directing it all towards you, just wanted to let you know it was Pypes answer not Summits. The rest was kinda angry ramblings.
If I remember from your threads we are both using the same manifolds (fits '64-'77 A bodies) so the passenger side won't be a straight shot in line with the extention pipes from the X pipe. I have their down pipes for those manifolds & I knew I was going to have to make them fit. The G Force X member looks perfect the X pipe section for the fit. I also still have to work the cats into the mix (Magnaflows) just to make the visual inspection.
They guy at the shop had that look on his face like "really, so you want me to fix one of the spec fit kits that don't fit." Sad thing is I'll have two for him to fix. Did try to explain I'd bring the X pipe back to show him but he said it would be easier to fix with the car there. I am also working on the self induced embareassment to call Summit to see about return/exchange for another. Then there will be contacting Pypes again.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor