Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I shall dub him "Mr. Blister." Because he always shows up AFTER the work is done. :)

At least you can start on dem brakes next!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Something I was messing with in the middle of getting the tires.

I installed these bars on a cutlass I had before the 442. When the car went, I kept them. They're from a piece of 1" OD iron tube I bought from Home Depot. I cut it into sections, flattened the ends in the vise, and drilled 3/8 holes in them. Instant brace kit.

They're beat up and paint chipped from kicking around the floor under my work bench, but they'll clean up fine.
IMG_4765.JPG

I made mine long enough that they sandwich the factory braces and adjoining attachment point everywhere but one spot.

First thing is jack up the car and place stands under the frame to eliminate body flex.

I drill and place my first bar in the passenger side, upper corner.
IMG_4767.JPG

From there I can see where the lower center will fall.
IMG_4766.JPG

I use and angle locator to make sure all the bars mount with the same angle to make sure they look uniform.

I eyeball where the top center hole should go and drill and mount.
IMG_4768.JPG

From there, I had enough mounting points to drill and secure the rest. As stated before, all the points but one are at overlapping sheet metal areas in hopes of adding rigidity to the structure.
IMG_4769.JPG

All done. **EDIT I cut the outside bars longer and put a bow in them at the center so they fit around the back bars they cross**
IMG_4770.JPG

I'll probably just leave them in place until the day comes that I clean and detail the entire trunk.

Hutch

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

Blueboy84

Greasemonkey
Sep 25, 2010
Northern Kentucky
Your pics and videos have been invaluable to me as I build my SS. Just wanted to say thank you. 🍻

Reactions: 2 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I got the C5 and Explorer Brake parts out and coated them in 2 light coats of G2 Caliper Paint.
IMG_4781.JPG
IMG_4775.JPG

I made a make shift hanging stand and gave everything 2 light coats.
IMG_4783.JPG

IMG_4785.JPG

IMG_4786.JPG

IMG_4782.JPG

I've used this stuff before on my Trailblazer SS, so I know this system works. It's been on my truck 150K miles now. I think the end product turned out great.
IMG_4789.JPG

IMG_4788.JPG

I even added some Olds vinyl to mimic the Corvette calipers look.

Hutch

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maybe should have done the caliper decals in red to match the stripes AND keep from looking too dirty the first 2 miles. Just a suggestion?

Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Maybe should have done the caliper decals in red to match the stripes AND keep from looking too dirty the first 2 miles. Just a suggestion?

Thought about a different color, such as a Silver and Red to match the stripes. In the end, I liked how the TBSS calipers came out so much I just duplicated it. They actually stay quite clean.

Hutch

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor