83MONTESS 496/8.5 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfg69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 26, 2012
Do you have a part number? I don't see them on Speedway..

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio

jfg69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 26, 2012
Thanks, going to place an order this week!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I finally got the engine in with the headers. The headers are Hooker 2455's which are for the A-bodies. I had to cut the passenger side lower control arm rear mount and grind the bottom of the header flanges to clear the ARP head bolts. Still sits wayyyy high in the front but im hoping once the springs are broken in and the rest of the front end is on it will sit down more.
engine in by bwollens1983, on Flickr

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The springs won't break in to lower the car. If you just dropped the car off the jack stands it will sit higher until the front wheels roll on the ground. When I was cutting my springs I cut them a little longer than I wanted and drove around for a week to see if they would settle. They didn't loose any height so I had to trim them again. Your car is looking real good and it's going to fly with that BB you have in it... :)

godlemmy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2011
Cleveland,oh
cool monte.got to love the big cube motors,i'm putting a 500 cad in my 79 monte.first off i've got a question on the speedway arms. i ordered the 8 in. ones and they make the wheels toe in on top. are yours ok?both mine and my dad's 'bu both are toed in on top.i'll double check the part#sent,but would still like to know about yours. second,about your headers.the 'bu is getting a big block also and i think he got the same headers as you.we bolted the flange on the head down tight and heated the tubes by the head.then we slipped a log splitting wedge between the collector and the lower a arm mount.after letting it cool down by it self the wedge fell out.and presto plenty of clearence.we had tried to cut the arm mount but still needed more room for the collector.hope that helps some.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
godlemmy said:
cool monte.got to love the big cube motors,i'm putting a 500 cad in my 79 monte.first off i've got a question on the speedway arms. i ordered the 8 in. ones and they make the wheels toe in on top. are yours ok?both mine and my dad's 'bu both are toed in on top.i'll double check the part#sent,but would still like to know about yours. second,about your headers.the 'bu is getting a big block also and i think he got the same headers as you.we bolted the flange on the head down tight and heated the tubes by the head.then we slipped a log splitting wedge between the collector and the lower a arm mount.after letting it cool down by it self the wedge fell out.and presto plenty of clearence.we had tried to cut the arm mount but still needed more room for the collector.hope that helps some.
Mine also seem to have screwed the camber all up. I bought them thinking they didnt require an alignment but oh well I guess.

As far as the headers, alot of people have used these 2455's and most only have to do what I did. Many had to move the prop valve and trim the engine mounts but I didnt. Im using solid Moroso mounts that are alot smaller than factory. The prop valve for me isnt even close to the header but I did have to bend the return fuel line in a little bit. I was actually VERY surprised at how easy they went in, I even called over 2 friends to help because I figured it was gonna suck.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
The springs won't break in to lower the car. If you just dropped the car off the jack stands it will sit higher until the front wheels roll on the ground. When I was cutting my springs I cut them a little longer than I wanted and drove around for a week to see if they would settle. They didn't loose any height so I had to trim them again.
I guess I forgot to mention I have 2" drop spindles. The springs are the Moog replacements for the car with AC. I still have the front end and the hood to put on so im hoping it drops it alot more.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
looking good. very clean install. you should have no problem frying those tires now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor