BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
A side note, rhetorically speaking to no one in particular - who gives a crap how it sounds at idle as long as the cam brings on power in the rpm range needed? You get a smother idle, fine. Rough and lumpy, fine. Just as long as it's coming on strong when you need it and keeps you pulling and smiling until you let off the throttle. THAT'S what matters. It's got plenty of lope as it is and probably will be even more noticeable when in gear with a bit less rpm. To me, that cam sounds plenty big enough in there now. If your engine can use the cam, the lope it makes at idle is only a sidebar and is far less important to the bigger picture. I guess I never got into jamming in a cam with the sole purpose of only sounding bad azz at idle. I know some people do, and then wonder why that bastage is spitting and coughing when they get into the throttle. Complimentary components to form the complete power package. That's all I'm saying.

I got a feeling this car is going to put out enough power to break something... :)

Reactions: 7 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
A side note, rhetorically speaking to no one in particular - who gives a crap how it sounds at idle as long as the cam brings on power in the rpm range needed? You get a smother idle, fine. Rough and lumpy, fine. Just as long as it's coming on strong when you need it and keeps you pulling and smiling until you let off the throttle. THAT'S what matters. It's got plenty of lope as it is and probably will be even more noticeable when in gear with a bit less rpm. To me, that cam sounds plenty big enough in there now. If your engine can use the cam, the lope it makes at idle is only a sidebar and is far less important to the bigger picture. I guess I never got into jamming in a cam with the sole purpose of only sounding bad azz at idle. I know some people do, and then wonder why that bastage is spitting and coughing when they get into the throttle. Complimentary components to form the complete power package. That's all I'm saying.

I got a feeling this car is going to put out enough power to break something... :)
You make a good point. FWIW, Duke was razzing me a bit...we BS outside of the forum. The cam he speaks of was in his Regal, but he switched it out.
The cam is the heartbeat, and I do a ton of research before buying stuff. This cam has a powerband that comes in around 1,800-6200rpm if I recall correctly. A 2,800+ stall is recommended...mine is roughly 3,300rpm so it should be a basket case!!!! A very similar engine was built by hotrod using almost the same parts and it made 415hp(obviously upper rpm), so I'll be thrilled with 385-400 before boost!
Oh yeah, this is a boost cam so it'll be interesting to see how it acts NA.

Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Now that the fun police have chimed in, I'm sure you'll be just fine intimidating coyote powered cars.

62459878_445492006278671_1801265299182321664_n.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You make a good point. FWIW, Duke was razzing me a bit...we BS outside of the forum. The cam he speaks of was in his Regal, but he switched it out.
The cam is the heartbeat, and I do a ton of research before buying stuff. This cam has a powerband that comes in around 1,800-6200rpm if I recall correctly. A 2,800+ stall is recommended...mine is roughly 3,300rpm so it should be a basket case!!!! A very similar engine was built by hotrod using almost the same parts and it made 415hp(obviously upper rpm), so I'll be thrilled with 385-400 before boost!
Oh yeah, this is a boost cam so it'll be interesting to see how it acts NA.
That's why I said I wasn't speaking to anyone in particular. But a lot of followers you have on this thread, along with Northernregal 's buildup as well, and anyone thinking they can just pop in a big azz cam and make power instantly need to take a step back and think about it. With your OCD, I have no doubt you probably over-researched it and settled on a great cam for your needs.

You guys have influence (among some others here who know their stuff) on doing LS swaps and some first-timer LS noobs may misunderstand your fun-intended banter. That's all I was trying to point out.

You're lucky fleming442 wasn't the fun police. He'd probably tell you to lean over the fender and spread 'em! :)

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor