BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
They should be fine. Flush them with some clean brake fluid then seal them up is my suggestion. Then, when you bleed them, that will flush them out some more.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
They should be fine. Flush them with some clean brake fluid then seal them up is my suggestion. Then, when you bleed them, that will flush them out some more.
Cool, thanks Jared. I will remember that when i get ready to paint them. I have them sealed, and wrapped up in bags in my utility (cutlass parts storage) closet until i get time to prep them.

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Had a few minutes after work and got the blazer brakes apart...after inspection the hubs look crappy on the backsides, not sure if they will work now or not!!! There is no noticeable play in them, could just be from sitting.

Guys tell me what you think please!!!
20170120_183141.jpg
20170120_183019.jpg

Oh, and i got these trick little pieces in the mail today too!
20170120_182124.jpg

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Scott,

Just being honest, I wouldn't use those hubs on my car but I'm insanely picky and they are probably fine. You should be able to clean them up and paint them. I used a thin bead of silicone to seal the dust shields to the spindles and to seal the bearings to the dust shields. Get them cleaned up, painted and greased, and you will feel better about them.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Scott,

Just being honest, I wouldn't use those hubs on my car but I'm insanely picky and they are probably fine. You should be able to clean them up and paint them. I used a thin bead of silicone to seal the dust shields to the spindles and to seal the bearings to the dust shields. Get them cleaned up, painted and greased, and you will feel better about them.
Yeah Jared, I'm really picky as well and I'm having issues with using them. The one side looks like the seal was broken causing rust to accumulate pretty bad. I really don't wanna shell out anymore than i need to since i need to save for a new motor, but i want to make sure the hubs are safe too!

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
So with the abnormally warm January weather here in KY i was able to get my grilles outside and finish the blackout process woohoo! Hit them with a few coats of adhesion promotor, then a few coats of SEM trim black. I think they turned out awesome!!! Hard to see the satin black with a little bit of glare....but they look killer.

Before:
Screenshot_20170122-133733.png

After:
20170122_133118.jpg
20170122_133124.jpg
20170122_133130.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Those came out really nice.
Thanks man....sanding down the fins was a real PITA though to be honest! Rktpwrd showed me a trick to speed up the process and it helped a ton....but i probably have 4 or 5 hours total in cleaning, sanding, cleaning, paint.

I'm happy they are done and hope they hold up....but my cutlass won't be a daily, nice weather only.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Scott, looks like those came out great! I'm glad the sanding sponge trick helped out for ya.

Great minds must think alike 'cause after almost a year after getting them back from spray chrome, I got back on finishing prepping mine for paint today too.
In my defence, I had a little more prep to do on mine at roughly 4-5+ hours per piece tho...
;)
I just finished the last of the prep here tonight, with any luck tomorrow night I can get them masked up and shot as well. Look for an update on my thread once they're done.

I just hope they turn out as well as yours did!

D.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor