Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, it needs to complete the circuit or no charging.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
Yes. Should be hot with the key. Make sure the ALT idiot bulb isn't burned out in the cluster.
I took the instrument cluster apart, the bulb doesn't look burnt out but I'll pick some up tomorrow and see.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I never understood the concept of taking things apart and changing parts instead of diagnosing what the problem is with some inexpensive and basic tools. The charging systems on these cars is very basic

• Dislike
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
There is also a fusible link is there not? Seems to me mine was burnt. Check for voltage at the power lug. I added a 4 gauge cable directly from the battery to make sure sufficient power is at the alternator.

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
The 2 pin terminal on the side has one lead looped to the charge post and the other recieves voltage on the brown as the "excite" wire.
[/QUOTE

My 81 isnt set up like that. The output wire and the red 12AWG wire from the two wire plug both go into that crazy OEM splice thats in the harness about a foot back from the alternator. Then it splits off to the starter, bulkhead connector and AC feed. You can see it in this picture but I deleted the wire to the AC when I switched to heat only.

Attachments

• IMG_2037.JPG
    IMG_2037.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 155

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It can be done several different ways. The 12ga. on the 2 pin is the voltage sense for the regulator, and the thinner wire is the excite/turn on. "One wire" alternators just jump these to the regulator inside.

Reactions: 1 user

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
There is also a fusible link is there not? Seems to me mine was burnt. Check for voltage at the power lug. I added a 4 gauge cable directly from the battery to make sure sufficient power is at the alternator.
It's getting enough power to the alternator I know that much. I think it may be a bad wire between the alternator and the dash. The guy who wired it before me used 90% electrical tape for all his connections and tucked them all behind the block.

• Scared
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor