Status
Not open for further replies.

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
There is also a fusible link is there not? Seems to me mine was burnt. Check for voltage at the power lug. I added a 4 gauge cable directly from the battery to make sure sufficient power is at the alternator.
I found the problem. There was a fusible link going to the dash that had melted.

Reactions: 1 users

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
I had a similar issue with mine 1981 El Camino SS .It has power seats and was "shorting" out and draining the battery .So I set the seat where I wanted and pulled the plug.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there is no fusible link that goes to the dash, one goes to the alternator and the other to the fuse box.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
This is correct. Two wires, same ring terminal at the starter, both with fusible links. One to the bulkhead connection, one to the alternator. You'll never see a fusible link inside a vehicle. It goes to the bulkhead thats attached to the fuse panel.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
i have still never seen as many fusible links blown as the people on this board. :wtf: are you people doing?!?!
Over taxing GM's garbage 80's wiring😁

• Haha

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
just wondering how many of the one who have issues with burning electrical wires have a fire extinguisher in their G body... :popcorn:

• Haha

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
just wondering how many of the one who have issues with burning electrical wires have a fire extinguisher in their G body... :popcorn:
Sounds like one should be standard equipment in these cars. :unsure: It couldn't hurt having one in the car anyway.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Sounds like one should be standard equipment in these cars. :unsure: It couldn't hurt having one in the car anyway.

I have one and I think every car that uses gas or diesel should have one or at least a bag of marshmallows

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I have one and I think every car that uses gas or diesel should have one or at least a bag of marshmallows
Marshmallows would be optional equipment...:giggle:
I always kept a Halon fire extinguisher in the Porsche. The Halon leaked out over time. They ain't cheap to refill, but still better than having the car turn into a bonfire.

• Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor