Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
and Halon will not only do that...

The Multiple Dangers of Halon

Using Halon extinguishing agents provides many risks to the people in the vicinity as well as the environment. Here is a list of some of the dangers:
**Frostbite**
Skin that comes in contact with the liquid of Halon that is sprayed from an extinguisher can caused chilled skin and frostbite.
**Skin & Eye Irritation**
Halon being a toxin it can cause damage to eyes and skin. Irritation can even occur without direct contact.
**Suffocation**
High concentrations of halon can create an oxygen-deficient environment. This can cause people to suffocate.
**Interruption of the Central Nervous System**
Large amounts of halon gas that are inhaled can interfere with the proper function of the central nervous system. This causes symptoms of dizziness, a tingling sensation in the extremities, and in some cases a victim with go unconscious.
**Flying Projectile**
A punctured or damaged extinguisher can present a danger because the release of pressure can turn the metal cylinder into a high-velocity missile.
**Cardiac Sensitization**
Halon can cause irregular heartbeats and an increased heart rate in response to adrenaline. In extreme cases, this can cause a heart attack.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
and Halon will not only do that...

The Multiple Dangers of Halon

Using Halon extinguishing agents provides many risks to the people in the vicinity as well as the environment. Here is a list of some of the dangers:
**Frostbite**
Skin that comes in contact with the liquid of Halon that is sprayed from an extinguisher can caused chilled skin and frostbite.
**Skin & Eye Irritation**
Halon being a toxin it can cause damage to eyes and skin. Irritation can even occur without direct contact.
**Suffocation**
High concentrations of halon can create an oxygen-deficient environment. This can cause people to suffocate.
**Interruption of the Central Nervous System**
Large amounts of halon gas that are inhaled can interfere with the proper function of the central nervous system. This causes symptoms of dizziness, a tingling sensation in the extremities, and in some cases a victim with go unconscious.
**Flying Projectile**
A punctured or damaged extinguisher can present a danger because the release of pressure can turn the metal cylinder into a high-velocity missile.
**Cardiac Sensitization**
Halon can cause irregular heartbeats and an increased heart rate in response to adrenaline. In extreme cases, this can cause a heart attack.
Still sounds safer/healther than the one thing out there holding the world in fear.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I bought 2 Halons back in the day when they first came out. One day I was leaving my job and stopped to help someone that worked on site. They had a VW and it was blazing. Used the whole extinguisher to get the fire completely out. Our site has its own fire department and at the time they could refill extinguishers so one of my friends refilled it for me.
Years later I noticed both of them needed to be recharged. Halon was already banned on site. I took them to a firematic shop. They couldnt sell any new halon but they could save what I had so they made 1 good one out of the 2. I still have it in my garage. Last time I looked at it the gauge said it needed to be recharged again. Ive got a couple of dry chems out there so I wont bother. Its too bad, halon worked really well.
When I bought them I saw them at a car show in PA. The guy did a demo to show how they worked. He had a container of diesel that he lit up. Shot a little bit of halon into a cup. Tilted the cup towards the burning fuel and it put it right out. I was impressed.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Honestly, I have never owned a car with as many melted wires, factory hokey connections and so many wires cut as my 88 Cutlass Supreme Classic Brougham. The A/C wires were melted, the wire to the cigarette lighter melted and the fusible link to the alternator, both melted. Also the usual high blower wire was melted. Plus someone cut all the CCC, looks like sh*t along with the hokey factory, hockey tape connections makes me think Larry O'Toole, some drunk Irishman was in charge of the wiring on these cars. My 70S and my 81 Delta 88 had no issues compared to my 88. Maybe because the 88 is so loaded? Not sure, either way, not good.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
NEWSFLASH: Packard/Delphi is some of the best wiring material ever made. The only thing really questionable (wiring-wise) on G bodies is the aluminum ribbon harness. Any issues incurred are usually from misuse or environmental (i.e.: rust hole creates moisture on an interior rated connector). I still have no idea how one blows a fusible link. They were installed for circuits rated higher than 30A (highest commercial fuse at the time), so to melt one requires a sizable short bordering on a fire.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Honestly, I have never owned a car with as many melted wires, factory hokey connections and so many wires cut as my 88 Cutlass Supreme Classic Brougham. The A/C wires were melted, the wire to the cigarette lighter melted and the fusible link to the alternator, both melted. Also the usual high blower wire was melted. Plus someone cut all the CCC, looks like sh*t along with the hokey factory, hockey tape connections makes me think Larry O'Toole, some drunk Irishman was in charge of the wiring on these cars. My 70S and my 81 Delta 88 had no issues compared to my 88. Maybe because the 88 is so loaded? Not sure, either way, not good.

My 81 Malibu had some "issues" in the original harness. A few crimped butt connectors, some odd wires. I wound up rewiring the majority of the engine harness. The OEM splice coming from the alternator was a little bit of a shock. Never saw one of those before but I redid it with an unsulated butt connector, solder, and marine grade shrink tubing.
Another repair I had to do was in the back of the fuse block. Previous owner put in an amp gauge and cut the wires REALLY short. I switched to a volt gauge. I was lucky to find a Monte at the local junk yard with the dash pulled out and the fuse block and partial harness still there. I was able to cut into the harness and pull out enough wire to be able to slice it into mine. Lots of work but it came out fine.
You can see how much wire was left on the piece I had compared to what I put in. The top had at least 10" of wire so I had plenty to work with.
Check out the last photo. Thats in the harness under the dash. I dont remember what its for but it might be something with the interior lights. That splice was wrapped in black tape that was similar to duct tape. Scary huh ? One of GMs better ideas. LOL

IMG_1914 (002) (1).JPG
IMG_1915 (002).JPG
IMG_1910 (002).JPG

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
BTW, if you want to wire straight to the bulkhead connection and get rid of any splices under the hood you can get all the correct Packard 56 and 59 terminals from texasindustrialelectric.com and the crimpers needed from americanautowire in NJ. The crimpers arent cheap but they make a perfect factory crimp.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well my 88 is a big fat fail, some user abuse, some poor design. Like I said, my 18 year older 70S wiring is much better and this car was full of mice! The only bare wires I found were for the add on blower fan in the back window, so not factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor