big block vs small block

Status
Not open for further replies.
But how many people drive their car around at 7500 RPM on the street :roll:

why do you want to rev your small block to 7500 rpm......lol is it because it has no power at 4500 rpm

I am thinking that the cam I have is going to be to much of an RPM cam. I would say the 5500 RPM, talked about with the big block, is great street use :idea:

This was from a Car Craft article years ago when they did a Pontiac 455 build.

"It's been said you can't kill the bottom-end torque on a Pontiac 455. We don't know just where this engine's true torque peak lies because Westech's SuperFlow dyno couldn't hold the motor below 3,600 rpm! But at that point--with the torque curve already on the downslope--the engine was still making 579.4 lb-ft"

We could argue this forever. I prefer max Pontiac cubes in my Pontiac, not the corporate sbc engine. Torque is king in a street car anyway.

lol i know you have big block that will rev to 7500rpm you have to be a real man to drive it

pontiacgp said:
these big blocks don't have a problem with high revs .....

super_modified.jpg

Call me crazy but that looks like a small block to me.

wow guys.

Its going to take a lot more dough to make a big block spin 7000+rpms. Hitting 7000-7500 is not that much of a handful if you have a straight open road. Its going to be hard to convince me for one that a big block with 500ft lbs and a th400 that maxes out at 5500-6000 will outrun a small block with 480 tq and same transmission/gearing that can hit 7000+rpm.

Big block I would take any day for the power, but thats not saying a small block is worse :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor