Converting to tubular a arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
As long as you have a good spring compressor it'll be a RR itself. Remove the shocks, unbolt the end links, compress springs, loosen ball joints, remove/install one arm at a time, put it all back together. This will also be a good time to swap springs if needed too.
If you are renting the spring compressor look it over real good!! Having one break when your putting it together gets rather exciting. Or have a floor jack under it as a safety until the ball joint is bolted back in.

Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba
If you are renting the spring compressor look it over real good!! Having one break when your putting it together gets rather exciting. Or have a floor jack under it as a safety until the ball joint is bolted back in.
I bought a brand new one.

Reactions: 1 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
I just see nasty sh*t with loaded tension in them springs. I do have the motor in, so shouldn't be too bad. Once she up and wheels off, I will have a better understanding. Don't think will be anything too terrible, might be just a bugger to get the compression tool in the spring
The one that works well is able to go up in the shock hole and compresses the spring. It’s really not very expensive to buy new.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I also brought a new one. Don't really trust used rentals cause you never know how the last guy treated it.

• Agree

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
The weight loss is almost a negligible amount,for the money. Most of your arms on the market are just tube versions of the stockers. Coming from a age standpoint point some of these arms are 40 plus years old and ive seen them develop cracks around the lower ball joint area and that's pretty sketchy as there's your load bearing. Price wise what do you really gain if you don't buy the ones that incorporate better geometry?Hell I can see it from a standpoint where I wouldn't want to rebush/joint an old arm an still have what I started with.it all depends on what your goals ultimately.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The main reason you'd want to make this swap is to replace the uppers with aftermarket arms that have longer geometry and/or tall ball joints. Besides getting new bushings for free, these features correct the factory steering geometry - as the weight of the car compresses the spring, swinging the arm up, the factory design tends to pivot the top of that wheel outwards in a turn, creating 'positive camber'. That means the tire working hardest to turn the car is rolled onto its sidewall, shrinking the tread contact patch. Combine with a good sway bar, and maybe lowering springs, you will feel an improvement in handling. Moog factory-style lower control arms are available with new bushings and ball joints for less than tubular lowers. You may need to use S10 arms, as the supply of G-specific parts has dwindled over 40 years. The S10 arms need larger-diameter bolts, but you can drill the frame holes to match.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor