CU162 Radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
CU162 or 162 seems to be the industry # for replacement G-body radiators.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I was going to get one a while back, but wasn't a fan of the drain location, extra port blocked off with a rubber cap and clamp (?!), and that it's a plastic tank/aluminum instead of brass.

Now I'm in a position where it's a necessity (temporarily until the original can be rebuilt) rather than an eventual option. Just want to make sure there's no modifications needed and that the factory hoses will work.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
I have that. It set in the pads top and bottom fine. The drain is off. But my core support was notched anyway from using the wrong radiator years ago. I replaced the rubber cap with a heavier made one from the parts store. The one included with the radiator is thin and leaked after a couple of months. It cools really well. Have never gotten warm and is consistant

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
We threw together an 83 regal that was totalled out beyond the firewall real quick and used a spectra radiator based on availability.

You may find the rubber inserts a little off on the radiator support, we did.

That said, since then we used the summit branded all-aluminum ones in different cars with good results, I really didn't want the plastic tanks again though.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I've had this one from O'reilly for about 4 years
Original 90,000 mile 305 sbc, with cam, intake, and headers. Did Hot Rod Power Tour last year(2021), with A/C on the whole time, with no problems.
It works great. On the street or at the strip.

I was using a stock radiator for an ‘84 MC (worked fine in the street), but at the track I battled to keep it below 240. When I put in the CU-162 it never hits 220 at the end of a 1/4 mile run at 25psi of boost.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I've been running a Champion brand all aluminum CC-162DP(dual pass) in my LS swapped Cutlass and it has yet to get over 205 even in summer heat! The regular CC162 with conventional inlet/outlet locations has been a popular replacement as it looks better and performs well!

Reactions: 1 users

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
Have had the Holley Frostbite FB163 3 row aluminum in mine since 2016. It's been great, no issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, I used that rad under the Modine name in my 88 CSC. It fit and will easily cool your 307.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Thanks for all the replies, lots of good information.

The radiator I ordered in this time is made a little different than I've seen previously in terms of the aftermarket CU162. This one has two plastic threaded ports with threaded plugs instead of rubber caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor