Help please! My 1982 Malibu Classic wagon suddenly runs terribly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke's82

Apprentice
Dec 31, 2015
How do I know if it's summit? It looks pretty plain. Unfortunately it was replaces before I bought it.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
When you get the rotor off, underneath are two metal plates with very small springs attached. You will be able to turn that part with your hand. It will only move a very little. Let go quickly and see if the two plates snap back closed. If not, this is your issue. You remove the springs and put on heavy ones. I can help you further with a pic. I label my plug wire boots at the cap with a silver Sharpie. After you do that, take a pic with your phone if you don't know your firing order. There is a notch on the rotor and the cap so you can only put them on one way.

Last edited:

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Lighter springs are for performance. Heavy is stock. If you don't have a performance engine, this will be fine. This might not be your issue at all so check the spring/plate assembly first. A pic for us would be awesome

Luke's82

Apprentice
Dec 31, 2015
Thank you so much, I am going to pull off the cap and rotor in the next few days and post some pics. The cap is just held on with 2 plastic tabs, correct?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Be extra careful prying the tabs back from the electrical plugs in the cap. They snap off very easily. Ask me how I know...
Pry one side back with a flat screwdriver or scraper blade, and stick a thin piece of cardboard in there, then go to work on the opposite side. Then all you have to do is wiggle the plug off/out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor