Idle Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I had a Buick 800 cfm carb and it had the provision in the base for the brake vacuum

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I often use Buick Q-jets on my Pontiacs. Usually there is a small tapped hole at the base that is easily drilled and re-tapped for the Pontiac vacuum tree or just that flared fitting. Even if not drilled the boss is there and is still easily drilled and tapped. I prefer that high volume spot over the tiny vacuum port Buick used in the intake manifold.

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I had a Buick 800 cfm carb and it had the provision in the base for the brake vacuum
My. Carb. Does. Not. Have. That. Threaded. Port.
Or the boss. it just has two nipple fittings. One in the rear center, one off to the side. Rear center is capped, angled is where i get hvac vacuum from. I'm sure I could remove the nipple and tap the hole, but I don't want to and doubt that will solve my issue.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
'swhat my carb looks like in back. not my carb, but the same number, 17057241.
qjet rear.jpg

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Drove it a little after work, idle was at 950rpm. screw hadn't moved, was not stuck on fast idle. let it cool, got it warm again idling, idles at 750. drive around, park, ends up idling up again after about 30 min of driving. let it cool, cycle repeats. i think the weights are sticking big time, i'll know for sure tomorrow when i can really dig into it. afr gauge should be here today too. that will rule out a vac leak.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I often use Buick Q-jets on my Pontiacs. Usually there is a small tapped hole at the base that is easily drilled and re-tapped for the Pontiac vacuum tree or just that flared fitting. Even if not drilled the boss is there and is still easily drilled and tapped. I prefer that high volume spot over the tiny vacuum port Buick used in the intake manifold.
I've got good braking now, no reason to do that in my case.

Nov 4, 2012
I think your engine is junk, you better just pull it out and send it over to me. Actually I could even take a road trip out to Iowa and pick it up so you don't have to worry about shipping, I'm that nice of a guy :mrgreen:

• Agree
  • Winner
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Drove it a little after work, idle was at 950rpm. screw hadn't moved, was not stuck on fast idle. let it cool, got it warm again idling, idles at 750. drive around, park, ends up idling up again after about 30 min of driving. let it cool, cycle repeats. i think the weights are sticking big time, i'll know for sure tomorrow when i can really dig into it. afr gauge should be here today too. that will rule out a vac leak.

what weights are you talking about?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I think your engine is junk, you better just pull it out and send it over to me. Actually I could even take a road trip out to Iowa and pick it up so you don't have to worry about shipping, I'm that nice of a guy :mrgreen:
:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor