Old school engines vs ls swap debate!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boy1duh

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2016
I value everyone's opinion on the matter it's good healthy debate that may help me or somebody stuck at the fork in the road I like to read opinions of those that know more about it than me and who have done swaps or have done both for comparison this is my first total rebuild so I'm virgin to it all thanks to all who had an input

Boy1duh

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2016
I had a complete ls 1 engine with trans in my grasp and I missed my beat on a great deal because I don't know enough I'm just looking to people who love this to give me a little nudge one way or the other

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
for setting up my quadrajet it's simplified with a wideband a/f mixture gauge..and you can more out of a carb than with efi without expensive diagnostic tools
Doing the same thing with my carbed Ls. I have the AEM wideband. I have never had a carbureted car before but have definately done my homework. I have done turbo and efi before, just wanted to learn the old school ways, and mix in a little bit of modern.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Gen 1 SBC only making 350 hp isn't true. Plenty of Vortec headed SBC making 400 or better with a cam swap. The frame and body in a g body are a greater limit on power than most engine blocks, g bodies are not built to take more than 400 HP without starting to deforming, distorting, and breaking.

I deal with carb vehicles all the time, and Qjets are one of the best carbs ever made. The E4me Qjets are the only carbs with variable air fuel mixtures and run less rich.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Mrockatansky

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2016
Toronto
I think its all about what you want to do with your car/build.

What direction?

What inspiration?

My two cents is that an old school engine with updated parts can be just as functional, reliable and performance centric as an LS. Have you checked out some of the new Quick Fuel or Holley Carbs? Carbs and components have come a real long way in the past 30 years+ and have really benefitted from modern technology and manufacturing. I personally am going all old school (with modern components) for my build, but that is the whole "thing" I am going for. I like that my car won't have any computers or chips or anything of that sort.

Ultimately it is your decision. Do keep us posted on what path you end up following.

Last edited:

Mrockatansky

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2016
Toronto
Gen 1 SBC only making 350 hp isn't true. Plenty of Vortec headed SBC making 400 or better with a cam swap. The frame and body in a g body are a greater limit on power than most engine blocks, g bodies are not built to take more than 400 HP without starting to deforming, distorting, and breaking.

Um how bad? Does this mean I am going to have an issue with approx 400hp in my Malibu? I was under the impression I was safe at 375-400hp.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Plenty of the Turbo Buick guys twist or break their lca mounts. Some had rear windshields blow out from body twist. Good news is g bodies can be reinforced to handle more power safely.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
LSX all the way. Still need to sell the twin turbo Vortec-headed SBC out of my MCSS before replacing it with a stockish LS-something.

If you have never experienced even a 4.8L LS you don't know what you are missing; there is nothing like it for the price point.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Plenty of the Turbo Buick guys twist or break their lca mounts. Some had rear windshields blow out from body twist. Good news is g bodies can be reinforced to handle more power safely.

Stock pick-up points and 500ft/lbs of torque:

Now please stop talking.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Um how bad? Does this mean I am going to have an issue with approx 400hp in my Malibu? I was under the impression I was safe at 375-400hp.
You should be fine. One of the first things I'd do though is get some bracing behind the back seat (google GNX rear seat bracing to get an idea if you don't know). Box the rear control arms or get tubular ones if you haven't, replace as many bushings as you can. There are complete bushing kits for these cars, body bushings, suspension, motor mounts, etc. If you can box the frame, do it. But for the most part, 400hp with just new bushings and at least that seat brace will go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor