Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
knowledge pool is shrinking as well..
That is the biggest roadblock. No one wants to learn how to set up a carb or distributor to work right and beyond. It's just too much work in a push button world used to instant answers. I can say that just by looking at the questions posted on this site that reveal a huge lack of what we used to consider basic knowledge. I have friends that work on cars for a living but they can't rebuild a carb or do anything else old school.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
we had to read books way back when and now it seems like many people are not interested in reading a book and some won't even google for an answer to a question

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That is the biggest roadblock. No one wants to learn how to set up a carb or distributor to work right and beyond. It's just too much work in a push button world used to instant answers. I can say that just by looking at the questions posted on this site that reveal a huge lack of what we used to consider basic knowledge. I have friends that work on cars for a living but they can't rebuild a carb or do anything else old school.

for setting up my quadrajet it's simplified with a wideband a/f mixture gauge..and you can more out of a carb than with efi without expensive diagnostic tools

Last edited:

Hickrocket1258

Greasemonkey
Dec 3, 2013
West Chester, PA
My pops has a lot of knowledge about old school but not so much new school, which is why he was more interested after I decided to go the 383 route compared to the LS route.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Boy1duh & all; Ok I'm in this debate. I look at the whole car as the team & the various parts as the team members. Please keep in mind that one player shouldn't over or under whelm the others So if your going drag racing, the most cubes (inches-big block), of course with aluminum heads. Your enemy is weight on the nose weather it is a drag car or street car. But on the street you won't need more than 450 Lbs Ft of torque & once you exceed 450 Lbs Ft of torque you'll start twisting the car. I know as I'm dealing with 500 Lbs Ft & it's just exceeded the limit of our stock frames. So that being said any LIGHT weight engine that makes 400 -500 Lbs Ft of torque will be a fun car. You can make those #'s with a 383 or 406 SBC & have a well behaved street able engine all at a modest costs. But you will still have an iron block! Nose weight is NOT your friend! So that brings us to the Ls series engines. Don't even consider an iron Ls engine unless you plan to boost it (supercharge-turbo) as you would be giving up one of the main advantages of the Ls series. Be warned that entering the Ls ring will be costly as every thing costs more than an old SBC. A friend of mine just put together a 1965 Chevelle with a Ls-2 - L65-E combo & it's just a fantastically balanced automobile, 400 Lbs Ft, 400 + HP & a 3.7 gear. It's quick, handles well, comfortable (AC) & will get good mileage. To define me I'm an ol'e big block fan that couldn't afford an aluminum big block, so I went large SB with as much aluminum as I could afford. Look at the Ls this way, it has an FE (Ford side oiler) bottom end, BB Chevy rocker ratio (similar), some of the best flowing ports modern flow programs can give us & the compactness of a SB Chevy all in one lite powerful package. I should also mention that the Ls series engines don't oil as well as previous big & small Chevy's, so be careful if you hot rod an Ls series engine, they can hurt them selfs easy. Did I help?? Bob Jr.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
Unless you plan on having 350 horsepower max, there really is no debate. The LS will win everything but price and work involved in the swap. The SBC will be the cheaper, and by far the easiest to do(keep) and the bigblock just doesnt really make any sense unless you going all out racing(and even then the LS wpuld prpbably be better at it).

Really. No need to debate it. Just find out what your goal is.

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
Unless you plan on having 350 horsepower max, there really is no debate. The LS will win everything but price and work involved in the swap. The SBC will be the cheaper, and by far the easiest to do(keep) and the bigblock just doesnt really make any sense unless you going all out racing(and even then the LS wpuld prpbably be better at it).

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY

I would disagree with the big block comment.
The Big Block just looks cooler and sounds awesome.. and is very easy to make lots of torque right out of the box with a mild streetable setup.
Its all about Time and Money..as with everything else in life..

84_SS

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2015
Windsor, Ont
I feel like this is a subject that can be debated to no end. When in all reality it only applies to you and you personal and specific goals for your car. Fuel economy, power, torque, ease of install, technology, future plans for power adders etc are all things to consider for a build/engine swap. Every engine can have its pro and cons.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Boy1duh

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2016

Really. No need to debate it. Just find out what your goal is.[/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor