Sean's 78 Camaro Z28

Should we leave the wheels grey or paint them body color?

• Leave grey

• Paint blue to match the body car, the way the car was when new

Results are only viewable after voting.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Jared, I have enjoyed the build. Great pics and descriptions. The camaro has turned out awesome. Some old and some new. A great mixture of both on it. Sean, your dad, and you did great work. The painter did very well too. Hope that the car gets enjoyed for many many years to come!!!
Thanks buddy! I appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
We haven't done much on the Camaro lately. Sean has been able to enjoy driving it to work a few times. It has been a wetter summer than normal so far so he hasn't had as many opportunities as we would like. The heat and humidity have also contributed to slow progress. You guys up north, think of our summers in terms of your winters and we don't have an air conditioned garage over here. It's pretty rough out there right now. 98 degrees with a dew point of 71 degrees. We've also spent most of our time on Dad's car and we recently went on vacation. Still, we've gotten a few things done. A month or so ago we got it jacked up and adjusted the emergency brake. I've updated the tuning software on my laptop and have gotten geared up to make some videos when we log data for the tuner. I've also coordinated with our tuner to describe what is going on and determine what kind of files he's looking for. We're just waiting for the right combination of weather and timing to get some log files captured. I hoped to this morning but my sister-in-law had things going today so Sean and I have my nephew today. We can't leave him home alone so instead we worked on getting the windshield trim and rear window trim on the car. Previously, Sean had new, reproduction trim on the car. That stuff is cheap and thin. While the car was apart and being painted, Sean bought sets of nice used original equipment trim for both windows. Unfortunately the windshield trim was poorly packed by the seller and was damaged in shipping by that company that operates brown trucks and thinks everything is a steel ball. It's a crying shame that the trim survived all these years in such nice shape only to be torn up by the shipping company. Shame on the seller for not packing it right. Thankfully only the top windshield trim was bent. The left and right pieces were intact. We ended up using them and using the reproduction upper piece. With each trim piece, I held it and Sean polished it with Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish using a Power Ball chucked up in the drill. We even polished the reproduction trim piece. Are the used trim pieces show car quality? I guess not, but they are very nice and don't let the car down in the least. Even though they aren't perfect, I'll take this real deal O.E. trim over the reproduction stuff any day. Here are some pics of the windshield trim...

Resized_20170716_105536.jpeg

Resized_20170716_105548.jpeg

The seller that Sean bought the rear window trim from knew how to pack stuff to ship it. I've hardly ever seen parts packed so well. Each piece was individually wrapped and the dividers were hot glued to the box. He marked the tape on the bubble wrap with an "X" and included a single edge razor blade and instructions on how to unpack the trim in the box. It was truly impressive...

Resized_20170716_104053.jpeg

Here's a pic of the rear window trim going on....

Resized_20170716_113956.jpeg

We were feeling fairly enthusiastic about how the project went and how it turned out so we cleaned up the car with Sean's California Car Duster and some Quick Detailer with a micro-fiber cloth and Sean took the car up to the front of the neighborhood to snap a few pics...

Resized_20170716_121305.jpeg

Resized_20170716_12040211.jpeg

Resized_20170716_121252.jpeg

We've got some plans for some small projects in the next week or so. We're planning to tighten the emergency brake a little more. Also, Sean bought some sound deadening mat (think Dynamat) to add to the trunk. All he has to do is pull up the subwoofer, pull up the carpet and then start installing the sound deadener. The car is a little loud out on the highway with that 3" exhaust so this should help. Thanks for tuning in. I'll update this again when there is some more progress to report.

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Sure is a beaut Clark! That hue of blue isn't meant for every car, but dang it looks so good on the Z!!!! Again, you guys have done a heluva job and should be very proud of yourselves!

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I voted to paint them blue instead of leaving them, I think you guys can use the extra work....:)

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jared,
I really don't need to add any complements and positive feedback...it's already been said....the car looks absolutely amazing. I'm sure you guys are proud of well it turned out...I certainly would be. Great job!!

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
still think that's a beautiful color.... then again, I could be a bit biased...
my DD

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor