Sean's 78 Camaro Z28

Should we leave the wheels grey or paint them body color?

• Leave grey

• Paint blue to match the body car, the way the car was when new

Results are only viewable after voting.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
This gets us to the end of February of 2012. Time for some blue!
fender and extension blue and clear 2-26-2012 001.jpg

fender and extension blue and clear 2-26-2012 006.jpg

And some clear!!

fender and extension blue and clear 2-26-2012 013.jpg

fender and extension blue and clear 2-26-2012 012.jpg

Towards the end of March of 2012 we were ready to paint the door jambs and the sides of the cowl that are behind the front fenders. It was a lot of prep so Sean got started the day before. I think I helped him with this but I don't remember...

door jam and lower cowl metallic blue 03-24-2012 001.jpg

door jam and lower cowl metallic blue 03-24-2012 002.jpg

door jam and lower cowl metallic blue 03-24-2012 003.jpg

door jam and lower cowl metallic blue 03-24-2012 004.jpg

door jam and lower cowl metallic blue 03-24-2012 009.jpg

I was definitely there to spray it...

door jam and lower cowl metallic blue 03-24-2012 016.jpg

To be continued....

Reactions: 6 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Here's some blue in the jambs. We left the doors on. They are so heavy, even empty that the thought of trying to hang them painted was more than either of us were willing to entertain. I'm totally satisfied with how it turned out. Show car? No, but damn nice for something done in the driveway....

door jam and lower cowl metallic blue 03-24-2012 019.jpg

and some clear in the jambs...

door jam and lower cowl metallic blue 03-24-2012 028.jpg

door jam and lower cowl metallic blue 03-24-2012 041.jpg

Next we painted the top of the dash the original light blue color of the interior...

dash light blue and car untaped 03-27-2012 007.jpg

A look at the jambs un-taped....

dash light blue and car untaped 03-27-2012 009.jpg

Next, we started putting the front clip back on it....

front fenders extensions and inner fenders installed 03-30-2012 002.jpg

front fenders extensions and inner fenders installed 03-30-2012 009.jpg

You can imagine that after all of the sanding, scraping, welding and grinding we'd done in the previous years that it was fun for us to start putting it together with some color. This got us into early April of 2012. We moved to paint the trunk, tail panel and the rear window opening...

trunk tail panel rear window opening metallic blue 04-04-2012 001.jpg

trunk tail panel rear window opening metallic blue 04-04-2012 008.jpg

Followed by shooting the bottom of the decklid and getting it installed on the car...

filler panel and deck lid installed 04-29-2012 006.jpg

This gets us to the end of April and is a good place to leave off for a little while. Thanks for following along. Hope you all are enjoying it. More to come.....

• Winner

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Moving on....

Following the painting of the trunk we continued to put the body back together. This culminated in the body being substantially assembled with all of the jambs painted. We got it out in the driveway to take some pics on 5-15-12.....
hood installed with scoop jamming done 05-15-2012 003.jpg

hood installed with scoop jamming done 05-15-2012 005.jpg

hood installed with scoop jamming done 05-15-2012 008.jpg

hood installed with scoop jamming done 05-15-2012 011.jpg

hood installed with scoop jamming done 05-15-2012 006.jpg

Next, we sprayed portions of the interior and the trunk with Lizard Skin. If you aren't familiar with it, Lizard Skin is a sprayable product that when dry resembles truck bedliner. They have one product for sound deadening and one product for thermal insulation. We sprayed both.....

lizard skin sound and heat shielding 6-3-2012 003.jpg

lizard skin sound and heat shielding 6-3-2012 007.jpg

lizard skin sound and heat shielding 6-3-2012 012.jpg

lizard skin sound and heat shielding 6-3-2012 016.jpg

lizard skin sound and heat shielding 6-3-2012 015.jpg

More to come....

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Next we installed the windshield and the rear window. Sean had to work to source a windshield that wasn't made in China. We managed to salvage the rear window. We'd never installed a windshield before and we made some mistakes. It didn't turn out to our satisfaction and some years later we ended up having a glass guy come out and cut both of them out and redo the job. One of the mistakes we made was putting the primer on the back glass so that it didn't stick. It's a miracle the back glass didn't blow out of the car on the highway once we started driving it. It's one of those deals that you don't know until you try. My advice is have a good glass guy come out to the house and do it for you.....
windshield installed 6-30-2012.jpg

rear glass installation 6-17-2012 012.jpg

There were a couple of stickers on the rear window from the local rock station that had been on there since the 80's. It hurt my feelings a little bit to take of the 'Monsters of Rock' decal....
rear glass installation 6-17-2012 001.jpg

rear glass installation 6-17-2012 002.jpg

Next up was installing the drip rail trim over the side windows. A good story on this. In the 80's when Sean and Dad were taking the first crack at painting the car, Sean wanted to black out all of the trim. He sanded and primed the drip rail trim against my dad's bitter objections. By this time, in August of 2012, six years into the project Sean had bought some drip rail trim off of another car. We weren't happy about how it fit. We ended up taking the original drip rail trim to a chrome shop here in town and had it professionally polished. It was amazing what they were able to do....
Camaro drip rail replacement 8-25-2012.jpg

Next we worked on rehabbing, painting and installing the mirrors....
driver door with mirror OCT 2012.jpg

Followed by door locks and handles....

camaro doors mirrors handles locks and window felt 003.jpg

And then the window outer dew strips and window supports....

camaro doors mirrors handles locks and window felt 006.jpg

Followed by the side glass.....

Door assembly project complete 12-28-2012 005.jpg

That finishes up 2012 and gets us caught up to the purchase of the engine. I'll resume the thread with more work on the LS and its installation in the engine bay. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 8 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
lovin' this build! besides the early split-bumper cars, the disco-z's were my only other f-bodies that I like.

for guys who don't do that for a living, you sure have gotten good at it!

hunkering down for the rest of the story! :popcorn:

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I think my malibu is going to Texas for paint and body work.

My dad always had camaros. In 77 (I was 2 years old) he bought a 75 camaro that was handed to me at 17. I wrecked it playing street racer in nyc.

I regret it everytime I think about it. It's great that your brothers camaro was saved.

So the next thread will be the GP right? you have your dad and brothers build pretty much done.

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
lovin' this build! besides the early split-bumper cars, the disco-z's were my only other f-bodies that I like.

for guys who don't do that for a living, you sure have gotten good at it!

hunkering down for the rest of the story! :popcorn:
Glad you are tuned in and enjoying it. I like the split bumper cars as well.
It's all good but how much is the neighbors house! I got to get out of the toxic waste state!
The appraisal district says $234k. It's 2700 sq. ft. You wouldn't want to live in a deed restricted subdivision. Texas is a great place to live though. The only real down side is the hot summer from May to September. May this year was pretty mild. The metro Houston area is a great place to find work. Texas is an inexpensive place to live in general. Low taxes, pro business. Mild, mild winters. No salt.
I think my malibu is going to Texas for paint and body work.

My dad always had camaros. In 77 (I was 2 years old) he bought a 75 camaro that was handed to me at 17. I wrecked it playing street racer in nyc.

I regret it everytime I think about it. It's great that your brothers camaro was saved.

So the next thread will be the GP right? you have your dad and brothers build pretty much done.

We all have a car that got away don't we. That might be the best part of my brother's car is it's his first car and it didn't get away. Now, 32 years later he has what he always wanted. I expect to get on the GP in the late fall or early winter. It's in a 10'x25' storage because I don't have room at my house and its just too hot over there during the summer. Think of it as the winter for our friends up north. I have a build thread on my car. It's just dormant. Thanks for looking and chiming in. I appreciate it everyone.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Looking forward to seeing it finished. Im probably the only one on the Forum that has seen the car in person. Jared, Sean, and their Dad have done a great job of restoring this car. 32 years of hard work, patience, and preservation is about to payoff BIGTIME. I can see some celebretory beers being consumed at your place, soon enough!

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Looking forward to seeing it finished. Im probably the only one on the Forum that has seen the car in person. Jared, Sean, and their Dad have done a great job of restoring this car. 32 years of hard work, patience, and preservation is about to payoff BIGTIME. I can see some celebretory beers being consumed at your place, soon enough!
You are the only forum member that has seen the car in person, James. We went and saw it this evening. It's nothing short of a dream come true and we thank you again for introducing us to Justin. He's done a great job.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor