Third brake light ideas for Wagons/El Caminos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like that light, what year Volvo did you borrow that from?
Steve,
I think you might've asked me that question once before. I'm not sure of the year or model for that matter, but I believe it's one of the last rear wheel drive Volvos. I actually replaced it with another type...different year...slightly different in design. It aims down a little more...that's what I preferred. I'll try to get a pic of the new one.

Longroof79, I like the look of your setup, but dealing with the wind deflector. Seeing as I’m missing the post caps, I’m beginning to think it’s more trouble than it’s worth.

It would be pretty slick to integrate it into the deflector, but then you’ve got to figure out a way to route the wiring behind it and shield it from the elements without looking ghetto.

Reactions: Longroof79
Longroof79, I like the look of your setup, but dealing with the wind deflector. Seeing as I’m missing the post caps, I’m beginning to think it’s more trouble than it’s worth.

It would be pretty slick to integrate it into the deflector, but then you’ve got to figure out a way to route the wiring behind it and shield it from the elements without looking ghetto.
Ed,
I think it could be done simply and tastefully. If the wires could be routed thru the one of the hinge standoffs, that might be the way to go. I always thought it would look trick to have an LED strip integrated into the deflector. My friend that has a Cutlass Cruiser expressed doing it that way on his car.
The wiring could then continue hidden behind the inside mouldings. I think it can be done without being too invasive.

I think potentially a way to have the best of both worlds is to maybe have a custom fiberglass deflector made. That way, you could smoothly integrate the light into the deflector, as well as maybe get rid of the post cap screw issue. Plus, you’re saving a rare (and arguably valuable) factory deflector from getting hacked up. Thoughts?

• Creative
I think potentially a way to have the best of both worlds is to maybe have a custom fiberglass deflector made. That way, you could smoothly integrate the light into the deflector, as well as maybe get rid of the post cap screw issue. Plus, you’re saving a rare (and arguably valuable) factory deflector from getting hacked up. Thoughts?
I like the idea of molding one out of fiberglass. I think it can be done easily using the original deflector as a form...or to create a form. This way, as you said, it won't be compromising an original piece.

• Agree
I got a few from JC Whitney a long time ago. Mounted upside down from the rear hatch trim they clear the deflector no problem. I would have to search my stash to see what brand it was. I bought several thinking they would break easily. 20 years later I'm still using the same one. Didn't later G-body sedans use a third light that kind of stood up on a pedestal and pressed against the rear glass? I'm thinking one of those could be mounted upside down on a wagon very easily.
P1080312.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor