Third brake light ideas for Wagons/El Caminos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The '76-'81 Chevy parts catalog list glass mounted add on "Lamp Package, High Level Stop" for '80-'81 as a fits-all (Group 21.298, p/n 999405). I do remember seeing them stuck onto back windows in the early/mid '80's. These was a fits-all for everything back then. Like every thing else from back then it's long discontinued.
So you're saying it's a dealer installed option, or accessory. It makes sense.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
If you really want to keep the wing then I guess using it to mount a light makes a lot of sense. It would just have to blend in and be weatherproof. I bought some LED light strips for marine use and they are supposed to be sealed well enough for a boat. I'm sure red is available. It would not be hard to fabricate some kind of fixture that the strip could be glued to and angled towards following traffic. 1/4 round vinyl molding comes to mind. Cut it to counter the wing angle so it is vertical and run it as wide as you care to.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
It makes it tough when the car is 400 miles away and you can’t just go out and eyeball it. I can’t wait to get it down here so I can measure, eyeball, straight-edge and photoshop some more with it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Are you sure that isn't an add-on? I don't think these cars had a 3rd brake light. Besides, it looks right the way it was mounted.

it is an add-on, you'll see in the picture the defroster elements go across the 3rd brake light which does not comply with the DOT. With a 3rd brake light the elements go around the 3rd brake light. The reason I discovered that was I was trying to find a Cutlass back window years ago and and the 85 and up will fit 81 to 88 but the 85 and down will not fit the 86 to 88, the only difference was the defroster elements...

img_20180221_205635978-jpg.83090

Reactions: 1 user

AlBreland

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2014
Palm Harbor, Florida
Two comments....a 1958 Impala roof vent would make a cool third light and does anyone know of a Led Brake light that's not a DIY assembly. I ordered one and sent it back when I saw you had to build it yourself (getting too old to do that :)

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Two comments....a 1958 Impala roof vent would make a cool third light and does anyone know of a Led Brake light that's not a DIY assembly. I ordered one and sent it back when I saw you had to build it yourself (getting too old to do that :)
Al,
The '58 Chevy Impala roof vent is a cool piece, but I think it would depend on what type of car it will be going on....besides, I'm sure you'll pay a premium for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor