thought this was pretty funny.... bashing all rice burners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: thought this was pretty funny.... bashing all rice burne

I do love a nicely done rice rocket. Unfortunately, there seem to be very few. They can generate speed, but as some have mentioned, the transmissions are then the weak link. I used to work with a guy that had a verified 400 hp Honda but during the year and a half I worked with him, he replaced his transmission 3 times and got about the same mileage I got with my 81 Cutlass with a SBC 400 dyno'd at 425 horse. He could beat me quite handily. His car was lighter, and my car had a 2.23 rear end ratio (always wanted to drop some 3:73's in it). But, I had MUCH less money in mine and never had any issues with it until someone decided 55 mph on a side-road in a flood was a good idea and they totalled it out.

Someone above mentioned about the stock Bonneville SSEI's and the Gran Prix GTP's being fast for a stock car, they are absolutely right. My wife's 99 GTP would keep up with my 81 cutlass with the 425hp 400 in it, and if we started from a rolling start in the 20mph to 35mph range, she would take me.

Now, I have an '83 Hurst Olds completely stock and with the exception of a CD player and a small sub the car is staying stock (I even ordered an extra radio face plate so I wouldn't have to cut into my existing one). I have already been challenged to a race by a ricer and I just said a car this nice doesn't race rice. :mrgreen: It now has 26k miles on that car and I haven't even floored it. It is probably best that way. I nearly lost my license when I had my 81.

83hurst-olds said:
I do love a nicely done rice rocket. Unfortunately, there seem to be very few. They can generate speed, but as some have mentioned, the transmissions are then the weak link. I used to work with a guy that had a verified 400 hp Honda but during the year and a half I worked with him, he replaced his transmission 3 times and got about the same mileage I got with my 81 Cutlass with a SBC 400 dyno'd at 425 horse. He could beat me quite handily. His car was lighter, and my car had a 2.23 rear end ratio (always wanted to drop some 3:73's in it). But, I had MUCH less money in mine and never had any issues with it until someone decided 55 mph on a side-road in a flood was a good idea and they totalled it out.

Someone above mentioned about the stock Bonneville SSEI's and the Gran Prix GTP's being fast for a stock car, they are absolutely right. My wife's 99 GTP would keep up with my 81 cutlass with the 425hp 400 in it, and if we started from a rolling start in the 20mph to 35mph range, she would take me.

Now, I have an '83 Hurst Olds completely stock and with the exception of a CD player and a small sub the car is staying stock (I even ordered an extra radio face plate so I wouldn't have to cut into my existing one). I have already been challenged to a race by a ricer and I just said a car this nice doesn't race rice. :mrgreen: It now has 26k miles on that car and I haven't even floored it. It is probably best that way. I nearly lost my license when I had my 81.
:doh:

I'll be gettin' one of those fancy gold & red plates for the 'Bu after I get it out here 🙂

tc1959 said:
Doober said:
I'll be gettin' one of those fancy gold & red plates for the 'Bu after I get it out here 🙂
actually they are solid copper quite nice.

where do you get them?...

pontiacgp said:
tc1959 said:
Doober said:
actually they are solid copper quite nice.

where do you get them?...
Ordered it on line at www.servicearizona.com Or you can go to any AZ. DMV office. $25 bucks a year plus your normal fees.

I meant copper :roll: :lol:

I have a simple plan for the truck I'm building a 383 for...
2x
sum-692200_w.jpg

1x
cto-6907_w.jpg

1x
SUM-640030_IT.jpg

Get where I'm going? 8)

Friggin' emissions testing...

I'm running two of the magnaflow spun cats which impede the flow very little...they were developed for race cars at tracks that started requiring cars to run cats to keep the tree huggers happy

50003.jpg

I may go with a set of those, just a little leary on what cat(s) to run because I had a cheaper one put on the truck a while back, and the substrate melted within 6 months. I've been running sans-cat since, but will need another when it's time to renew my tags.

Doober said:
I meant copper :roll: :lol:

I have a simple plan for the truck I'm building a 383 for...
2x
sum-692200_w.jpg

1x
cto-6907_w.jpg

1x
SUM-640030_IT.jpg

Get where I'm going? 8)

You don't need to go to emissions anymore in AZ if you keep classic auto insurance,I haven't taken my 78 for two years now.

Friggin' emissions testing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor