BUILD THREAD Tomeal's Elky Build

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
It should be the bottom one on sender but hopefully someone else will verify. White thing has to be a vent maybe with built-in rollover valve???

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Started putting the harness back on the engine. Should have taken more before pictures. Need to pick up some larger loom to finish running it.

Got a little high on paint fumes from the chassis paint. Should've paint the underside of the body before I put it on the frame, but oh well.

Paint can dry then I'll run the fuel system.

Reactions: 1 user

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Fuel system day!

Was hoping to get farther today, but I apparently needed to learn how to do AN fittings. Started with not having anything that would cut through the stainless braid. Then figuring out how to spread the braid right so the furrel would seat right. I think I figured it out.

Tomorrow is another day. I'll finish the lines tomorrow and hopefully pressure test them to find out if I need to re-do any fittings.

After that then it's back to wiring. In cab wiring and finishing the engine wiring.

Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Fuel system day!

Was hoping to get farther today, but I apparently needed to learn how to do AN fittings. Started with not having anything that would cut through the stainless braid. Then figuring out how to spread the braid right so the furrel would seat right. I think I figured it out.

Tomorrow is another day. I'll finish the lines tomorrow and hopefully pressure test them to find out if I need to re-do any fittings.

After that then it's back to wiring. In cab wiring and finishing the engine wiring.
Tape areas to be cut to stop fraying. Use a hacksaw, cut off wheel, or large wire/cable cutter.

Reactions: 1 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Tried a hacksaw, none of the blades I have wanted to cut it worth a sh*t. All my blades are loose and laying around, so I'm not sure what they are intended to cut. Was going to try the cut off wheel, but it looked like it could be messy going through the liner. The videos I watched I liked the cable cutter.

Ran and got one. It works really smooth. Oblongs the pipe slightly,but is easy to fix.

Tape works so freaking good I was fighting getting it to expand open that little bit to get the furrel to seat right on the liner.

I'm using fragola line and fittings. Found I can slip the fitting in the liner and use a small flat screwdriver that I bent the tip to work around the braid to open it up.

Reactions: 2 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Well spent a lot of the holiday working with my boy on his truck. We bought him things he wanted for it so we worked on it together!

Anyways got some time while he was doing some things on his own. I ran the rest of my fuel lines.

I was sweating this part a little cause I've never done AN lines before. Finished up and hooked up a battery to the pump to pressure my lines and check for leaks. Purged the air from the fuel rails and let it pressure for a minute. NO LEAKS!

This feels like a good step. Got to dress the lines, but a little closer.

Now to work on the dash and the gauge wiring.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
This feels like a newb question, but with everything apart I'm lost.

What is this?

IMG_20230105_182024652.jpg

Was attached to the filter box from the box truck. The plug for it remained after I worked the harness. How should I work it in?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Mass air flow sensor MUST be in the air inlet of you're using the stock computer. Usually everyone just connects it with silicone couplings

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Right up against the intake using couplers, then run the rest out to the filter?

Thanks, my brain would not think of that.

Reactions: 1 user

dmac35242

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2021
Birmingham, AL
Right up against the intake using couplers, then run the rest out to the filter?

Thanks, my brain would not think of that.
The best way is to duplicate the basic layout of the factory set-up.
The MAF part of the tune is set for the factory location.
Might make a difference, might not.
Most crate engine kits I've seen say "x" number of inches from the throttle body in a straight piece of pipe at least "y" inches long.

Try this. It explains it better than I can.

• Agree

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor