BUILD THREAD Tomeal's Elky Build

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
The best way is to duplicate the basic layout of the factory set-up.
The MAF part of the tune is set for the factory location.
Might make a difference, might not.
Most crate engine kits I've seen say "x" number of inches from the throttle body in a straight piece of pipe at least "y" inches long.

Try this. It explains it better than I can.

Thanks! I can work with that!

Reactions: 1 user

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Question: I was putting coolant into the engine and there is a small hose coming off of the front of the passenger side head and coolant came out of it when filling. When I pulled the hose off the fitting the nipple piece broke off with the hose. I believe the proper name for this is a steam port. I took the crossover piece off that runs from one head to the other.

I see that they make block off plates for these. Is there any pro's or con's to using the block off plates? Should I get a replacement crossover piece like stock or just run block off plates?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Noooooooooooooo You can block off the rears, but not the fronts. There is a ton of hub bub about needing '4 port steam ports', but consider that GM only made millions of LS's with only the front port.

The junkyard is full of 'new to you'' crossovers.

Reactions: 4 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Noooooooooooooo You can block off the rears, but not the fronts. There is a ton of hub bub about needing '4 port steam ports', but consider that GM only made millions of LS's with only the front port.

The junkyard is full of 'new to you'' crossovers.
Thank you!

This is all a new venture for me. I will source a replacement.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
So when I replace that, where should I plumb it to? In with the overfill tank?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Has to be in the inlet side of the water pump or piping. I put mine in the top of the water pump- drill and tap for an 1/8” npt fitting. This keeps the hose short and out of sight.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
So when I replace that, where should I plumb it to? In with the overfill tank?
There are 3 places. Into the water pump, directly into the radiator, or into a fitting placed in upper hose. All depending on what you have.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
So......I'm getting a crank, no start when trying to fire it up for the first time. I've been checking, re-checking, and checking over and over. I've got to be missing something.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
I have verified in the tune that vats is disabled. Also starter check and starter diagnostics are disabled. I have checked to make sure that I am getting 12volt with key on and while cranking. Checked my grounds throughout the harness. I have fuel pressure. I have 12volt at my driver/passenger ignition connector. Even put a spark plug tester inline, and it lights up.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Most likely no crankshaft signal... sensor is on the passenger side basically behind the starter.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor