What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I was dogged at every turn today. By 7am I was outside getting the tools ready, grabbed a scraper and scraped the opening for the airbox.
20200801_073159.jpg

Then I decided to take the header and the starter out. I have mentioned in a previous post that I am having hot start trouble on occasion, and that I already have a mini starter waiting for install. To get the starter out, I must remove the header, loosen the motor mounts, and jack up the passenger side of the engine. I struggled with that for 2-3 hours. When I finally got them out and compared the mini starter with the old one, it looked as though the mini needed about 7/8 inch of spacer to make it fit.
20200801_193037.jpg

I went to the hardware store and bought some bar stock, and came home to cut several pieces, drill holes and begin install. I test fit and cranked the engine, the Bendix kicked out and spun,but did not contact the flywheel. I figured I would remove one of the spacers. Same. Removed another. Still same. I will try one more. Engagement!, but horrible grinding. Removed the last spacer, tried again, BINGO!!! Perfect, except I just wasted about 4-1/2 hours making 5 spacers in two different thicknesses.
20200801_193350.jpg

Next, I needed to rework the new heat shield to fit the mini. It didn't turn out pretty, but it will do it's job. Old wire coat hanger to the rescue.
20200801_192805.jpg

I clocked the mini tight toward the engine block, and so I had to put a tight bend in the heavy battery cable. Right now, I am waiting for the liquid insulation to dry on the cable before I fasten it to the starter and begin final install. Then I will attempt to get the A/C airbox in place.
20200801_185134.jpg

Only about an hour of daylight left, I had better get busy.

Reactions: 5 users

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Haven’t been to motivated to even look at it lately. When I last drove it I had a vibration like something is loose. I re-torqued all the from suspension hardware. Still feel something strange. Hubs feel fine. I think I may have some bent wheels. Maybe I can use that as an excuse for the wife to let me buy some wheels. :cautious:

I figured since I’m not gonna drive it around for the time being I can start doing some body work. The car is very straight aside from some door dings the wife gave it while it was parked.
I don’t wanna go into to much yet on what I am doing for paint yet. I rather wait till I have at least laid the paint before I talked about it. It’s kinda a very budget thing. I have done quite a bit a research before I committed to it. Seems like it’d it done right it look decent. Fingers crossed it works out. LOL

ACB23F38-273A-43C7-BCB9-A781D4765B67.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
My first outing to the old 1320 ended in a hurt motor fuel pressure regulator failed went dead lean massive detonation 2 slugs to the piston goddess
So my B body has been playing backup but its not cutting it now that my local track is only running to the 1000’ mark 3.08 gears shifts into high gear just after the 8th mile about 800’ 3200 trap rpm
I was planning on putting the 12 bolt rear under the 85MC well out comes the stock 87 SS rear that has proven itself behind my high 12 car for a quick swap to the 88MC that has a open 2.73 diff this car will now take over duties until next year I have time no points races for the next two weeks
I have not yet run the 88 at the track I want to run it before the swap just to see the real Apple to apple results put it in drive and let it dig
They are having a Friday night street thing for the kids no excuses now
4FDE08BB-8111-4F8E-A830-73C20C55576E.jpeg

Reactions: 8 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Haven’t been to motivated to even look at it lately. When I last drove it I had a vibration like something is loose. I re-torqued all the from suspension hardware. Still feel something strange. Hubs feel fine. I think I may have some bent wheels. Maybe I can use that as an excuse for the wife to let me buy some wheels. :cautious:

I figured since I’m not gonna drive it around for the time being I can start doing some body work. The car is very straight aside from some door dings the wife gave it while it was parked.
I don’t wanna go into to much yet on what I am doing for paint yet. I rather wait till I have at least laid the paint before I talked about it. It’s kinda a very budget thing. I have done quite a bit a research before I committed to it. Seems like it’d it done right it look decent. Fingers crossed it works out. LOL

View attachment 153458

Definitely feeling ya there, Allot of work goes onto the body, here's my most recent progess.

20200713_135825[1].jpg

20200802_202812[1].jpg

Do keep in mind That I have done everything by hand IE; Sanding etc. Spray cans in the outside though not ideal is doable. Bondo especially by hand sanding is not fun and allot of hard work. but you don't see the dent that was on the panel behind the driver door (Under rear side window), Building up the primer too to make everything come out even that was a challenge. Still got alittle minor bits here and there that are showing through the paint that I have to fix. Understand that this isn't going to be a professional job, it will be a decent job and that's all I am aiming for considering my lack of skill and experience. I am gaining both as I go along. Youtube is a great source for how to's and other idea's and Information about body work and paint. Use that resource well.

Reactions: 5 users

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Definitely feeling ya there, Allot of work goes onto the body, here's my most recent progess.

Do keep in mind That I have done everything by hand IE; Sanding etc. Spray cans in the outside though not ideal is doable. Bondo especially by hand sanding is not fun and allot of hard work. but you don't see the dent that was on the panel behind the driver door (Under rear side window), Building up the primer too to make everything come out even that was a challenge. Still got alittle minor bits here and there that are showing through the paint that I have to fix. Understand that this isn't going to be a professional job, it will be a decent job and that's all I am aiming for considering my lack of skill and experience. I am gaining both as I go along. Youtube is a great source for how to's and other idea's and Information about body work and paint. Use that resource well.

I’m no stranger to paint and body. The lack of motivation isn’t the paint work, it is just the small stuff that comes with owning older cars. Fix this then that breaks. Fix that then the other thing breaks.
I feel like at this point I would enjoy a slightly newer car and I can mod and be able to take to the track. It’s tough. I know I am asking a lot of what I am trying to do with the car and time and stuff. When I was younger and single I would basically live in my shop and had the time, energy, and money. Now with 4 kids it’s not as easy. Just need to suck it and make $#!+ happen.

Attachments

• 3D738F68-BA9E-43F4-AD6B-B3CFE58EC955.jpeg
    3D738F68-BA9E-43F4-AD6B-B3CFE58EC955.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: 1 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
Left a guy shaking in his boots...

Was on my way to the local roundy round stock car track Saturday afternoon. Jr. and I were cruising down the highway in the wagon minding our own business. In the rearview mirror I could see a Cowboy Cadillac coming up but he was still way in the distance.

For those not "in the know," a Cowboy Cadillac is one of those rough trucks lifted up high with the huge a$$ tires sticking out all around due to wrong backspacing on the wheels. Chances are it is plastered with stickers all over the back window as well.

I checked the mirror again and he was much closer. Next I know he is right alongside us as staying there. Again, I'm minding my own business so I don't even look over.

For those not "in the know" part 2, my wagon has a stock truck Chevy 350, Q-Jet with a Turbo 400 trans and a stock 7.5 rear with 2:41 gears out of a 81 Cutlass, headers and Flowmaster mufflers. Nothing more. It's hardly a ground pounder, and anytime I've really jumped on it, something has always broken. So I never "play" like this guy was wanting to.

He finally hammered his truck to show me what he had and from what I witnessed, I probably could have done something with him anyway. I just shook it off, until we were getting off the highway exit for the track and the dude was right in front of us.

I told Jr., "I'll bet he's going to the track too. I need to come up with something to say to him." Sure enough his blinker goes on in his one working tail light and into the track he turns. We end up parking right next to him.

As we're gathering our things to head into the track, I yell over, "Hey, you're pretty brave pulling up next to me looking for some action on Route 2. You DON'T KNOW what I have here." He looked surprised and confused and started to squirm... stuttering, " I... only.... ha ha have headers on mine..." So I say, "all the more reason... there could be a turbo LS in here... you just DON'T KNOW...." and walked to the gate.

Jr. and I have been laughing about the story for two days now.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Got past the starter/header tangle and have the A/C airbox installed. I had to remove the inner fender and the valve cover to wiggle it into place, but it's in, and I am getting more excited at the prospect of having A/C.
Some pics of the progress.
20200802_114152.jpg
20200802_125300.jpg
20200802_161316.jpg
20200802_161316.jpg
20200802_200106.jpg

Still have many connections to make, but that will be done in due time. I am hoping that I can get the interior venting installed some evening this week, and then put the dashboard in over the coming weekend.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Good news: Quadrajet is up and running and after I got the distributor on the right port, she pulls pretty good. There may be some geometry issues hooking up the cruise control pull cable, and the kickdown cable is right at the limit of its adjustment range but I think it is in a good place.

Bad News: On the test drive, the transmission did not want to shift out of 1st gear unless shifted manually, and 3rd gear would only shift in about half the time. No slip, no rough shift, no rough downshift, just won't upshift on it's own.

Somewhat optimistic news: When I got back home, I found that the trans was low on fluid. Not super low, but it is low. I don't have any fluid here but I will pick some up in the morning. I hope the TH 200 lives to see another day, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has reached the end of it's lifespan.
If I recall correctly, the 200 metric used a vacuum modulator. Perhaps you might have inadvertently disconnected the vacuum hose....or forgot to connect it to the back of the carb or manifold after replacing the carb?

Reactions: 1 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
If I recall correctly, the 200 metric used a vacuum modulator. Perhaps you might have inadvertently disconnected the vacuum hose....or forgot to connect it to the back of the carb or manifold after replacing the carb?

I believe this one only has a TV cable. The TH350 has a TV cable and a vacuum modulator. I actually got my spare TH350 on the engine stand after some sketchiness with a ladder as an A-Frame and some ratchet straps to lift with.

IMG_20200801_002807.jpg

IMG_20200801_003814.jpg

It needs a TV cable replaced and a selector shaft seal replaced, and it may get front and rear seals while I am here. That being said, I am totally in the market for a 200-4r.

• Creative
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor