What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Began my conversion from heat only, to a factory style A/C, using a factory airbox and A/C dashboard.
I took the day off work to take my wife to a doctor visit. Due to the Covid epidemic, she will not take a taxi or Uber, so I schedule a day off each month to take her myself. I began shortly after 3pm, removed the hood, disconnected engine bay heater box wiring, removed dashboard and heater vents, then back to the engine bay and removed the airbox.
20200731_162257.jpg
20200731_180736.jpg

20200731_205439.jpg

20200731_205405.jpg

I believe getting the A/C airbox in will be more difficult than getting the heat airbox out. I may have to remove the fender and/or the inner fender to install it. Tomorrow is a new day, I will find out how far I progress.

Reactions: 7 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Began my conversion from heat only, to a factory style A/C, using a factory airbox and A/C dashboard.
I took the day off work to take my wife to a doctor visit. Due to the Covid epidemic, she will not take a taxi or Uber, so I schedule a day off each month to take her myself. I began shortly after 3pm, removed the hood, disconnected engine bay heater box wiring, removed dashboard and heater vents, then back to the engine bay and removed the airbox. View attachment 153385 View attachment 153386
View attachment 153387
View attachment 153388
I believe getting the A/C airbox in will be more difficult than getting the heat airbox out. I may have to remove the fender and/or the inner fender to install it. Tomorrow is a new day, I will find out how far I progress.
That's great progress for one day.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I took the day off work to take my wife to a doctor visit. Due to the Covid epidemic, she will not take a taxi or Uber, so I schedule a day off each month to take her myself. I began shortly after 3pm, removed the hood, disconnected engine bay heater box wiring, removed dashboard and heater vents, then back to the engine bay and removed the airbox. View attachment 153385 View attachment 153386
View attachment 153387
View attachment 153388
Please keep us posted, I'm planning to do this with my caballero.

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Yesterday I chased down the voltage drops and the excessive draw starting the engine. Turned out to be a weak engine ground. I rewired the Fast, they say put the power and ground directly to the battery so that is done and the volt reading on the handheld for the Fast is still about .5 volts off so that was a wasted change. After about a 40 minute drive the GP stalled when at idle cause the fan turned on. There was a voltage drop but the battery was good and I'm really thinking the CS144 alternator is the problem when it gets hot. I have read the CS 144 can significantly drop output when hot. The battery is still strong and the engine will fire up again with the fan on and it will run. It seems the initial draw of the fan causes the issue. On the Fast I had increased the idle to 800 from 750 and I turned the fan on at 195 instead of 200 to try to keep the heat a bit lower but that didn't help. I guess I'll be picking up an AD 244 this morning.... :popcorn:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I picked up the AD244 this morning but I was unable to install it cause the 4 pin plug for the CS144 is not the same size or for the 4 pin AD144. I need to pick up a plug for the AD244, I have the wire with the resistor in it for the conversion.... :popcorn:

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
Prepping out the Hurst...going to repaint all the lower black. Dry spray and chips, it's been sitting for almost 20 years and. it's first repaint was in 98'. 20200801_172554.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Looks like 2 years ago:
View attachment 153380

I’ve hit the spots on the upper left hand side with everything except a sand blaster and it still looks like this
View attachment 153381
I might have to make a spot blaster later. Although I really don’t want to start blasting again- I’m still finding sand in places I didn’t think it could reach.
You and I both. I had to seam seal the passenger side Tail light extension and almost the same areas of the Malibu's trunk you did. Also just truck bed lined it too. Angle's where no fun, I am feeling ya there.

Reactions: 1 user

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Man :cry:. . Right now we are expecting Quarter size hail to come down. Still struggling a bit with the area that I bondo'd up primer wise anyway, trying to get that smooth, it's almost there.

20200801_162803.jpg
While I am still sanding many area's down I did repaint the black lines and such in the Grille and put it back on. Front end of the car has a bit of clear coat on it so putting it back on isn't going to hurt. :mad::mad: This weather :mad::mad:, I was hoping to do alittle more today.

Reactions: 1 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
You and I both. I had to seam seal the passenger side Tail light extension and almost the same areas of the Malibu's trunk you did. Also just truck bed lined it too. Angle's where no fun, I am feeling ya there.
That crap in the upper left aged in such a way just to torment someone too. I’ve hit it with 80 grit flap disks, acids, and even a grinding wheel, nothing takes it off. Grabbed some Evaporust Gel and a couple of ceramic flap disks today, and that rust is gonna be shown the door tomorrow.

All this because crates were stuffed in this car’s trunk.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor