What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
You just need to leave the OE drain holes open, and apply a liberal coating of cavity wax one painted. Adding more locations for rust to start doesn't sound like a good plan to me.

But you do you.

Having good belt seal strips (belt moldings, fuzzies, dew wipes, whatever) goes a long way to keeping water and dirt out of the inside of the door

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
My belt seal strips/fuzzies for both sides are brand new, bought from ?? over a decade ago. They still have to be mated to the fancy chrome strips that used to support the old ones. Never got that far because I concluded that it would be about equal to putting lipstick on a pig to do the install on a door that was on its way out.

Oh, yeah, before I forget, "What is wetting" referring to a item on your how to glue Part A to Part B scenario.

Nick

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
3D3DC8B1-8989-4B03-80F9-C42F5CB12CF3.jpeg
Sometimes the little victories are the sweetest. For the 1st time in 4 years I finally have a working temp gauge!

I replaced it with a newer style and harness initially that the parts catalog all say they work. But of course they’re wrong. The right one TS168 is probably the only one that actually works and I’m not sure it pops up in the summit catalog or rock auto for the cutlass Salon/442 (rally pack gauges).

The temp is even spot on accurate with the Sniper hand held!

Reactions: 1 users

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
View attachment 185194 Sometimes the little victories are the sweetest. For the 1st time in 4 years I finally have a working temp gauge!

I replaced it with a newer style and harness initially that the parts catalog all say they work. But of course they’re wrong. The right one TS168 is probably the only one that actually works and I’m not sure it pops up in the summit catalog or rock auto for the cutlass Salon/442 (rally pack gauges).

The temp is even spot on accurate with the Sniper hand held!
What engine are you running? I'm currently reading on which sensors I need to snag for correct gauges on the Rallye pack style with a SBC

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
What engine are you running? I'm currently reading on which sensors I need to snag for correct gauges on the Rallye pack style with a SBC
I’m running an Oldsmobile engine (350 at the moment); if you have/had the 1 wire sensor you’ll need the harness that goes with the 2 wire sensor and the Oldsmobile rally pack cluster. I think classic Gbody garage has a video on doing the swap.

I think this sensor/sending unit must have some resistance that is matched to gauge in the cluster and that’s the reason the generic Chevy one all the catalogs say works but actually won’t. Really should not matter what engine is in the car as long as you match the sending unit to the gauge/cluster. Only annoyance is that the gauge has 220* at the straight up “normal” position and only hash marks before you get to 220. But now I won’t have to look down at the sniper handheld any more to see where I’m at temp wise.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Took the Elky out for a short drive yesterday to drop off my time card at work. It has been parked facing downhill under our cedar tree with a cover for the last few months while I am working on the Pinto project under the carport. Well, the rainy season started a couple of weeks early here in Seattle this year, and the El Camino car cover looked like a kiddy pool in the truck bed. I had to get a pump to remove the water, then I removed the cover. That was when I decided to take it to drop off my time card. When I returned home, I backed it in on the far side of the driveway with the rear end downhill. I put the cover back on with the tailgate down, so now it will drain instead of fill up the bed.
As for the Caballero, I've only driven it a few times recently because with the light rear end, and stick shift trans, it spins the tires too easily on wet pavement.

Reactions: 4 users

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Finally got around to prep and painting my new rear and the boxed in lower control arms. still have to wire wheel the rear sway bar and upper control arms and paint them too. Pic's to follow.

Reactions: 4 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
It appears that you don't have a map set installed for the location you are in. It is normally installed on the units SD card, but it can vary widely from model to model.
Appreciate the thought but I downloaded offline maps for it which sometimes work great other times won't show for some reason
I'm so torn between adding some kind of double din style screen or just a bluetouch radio-less amp.
I like the fact that I can have apple carplay and gps and such but also the simplicity of not having anything to have the clean looks.
I've also been looking into the rear view mirrors that have a built in dash cam and rear view cam with a built in screen, they add to the clean look.
Although I love the nice screens like your setup.
Thank you, I regret doing it now since I am having a hell of a time trying to get it to work the way I want it to. But I always like to put myself through misery so I guess it is my own fault, hahaha

20211010_095226.jpg
20211010_105655.jpg
20211010_093001.jpg
20211009_170342.jpg
20211009_163650.jpg
Took both cars to this years Pizza Power Tour, ended up blowing a fuse in the Monte which shut down the Sniper and Dakota's n made me think it was something bigger because the head units and air ride still had power. Didn't see any wires or problems otherwise so one of the local G body legends stayed with me while I played a little. Decided to push it off to the side and ride with him to the next stop, once I got there my buddies didn't feel like doing the next leg and wanted to see if it was just a fuse. So we went back and that is all it turned out to be, she still isn't running right so gonna have to see what all is going on......

Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor