What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Now after reading this in the other thread I need to ask if you are trying to get the lighting for when you turn on the parking/headlights? Or is this to power the back light when the head unit is on? If you need the back light on when the key is on then you'll need to either tap in the fuse box port at the RADIO fuse which is for circuit 141 (uses a brown/white wire when factory hard wired in), Feed, Ignition Switch, "Accessory & On" Controlled , or tap into the brown 12 gauge accessory power wire (circuit 4, Feed, Ignition Switch "Accessory & On" Controlled, Unfused) to run a new fused line to the head unit. This way, key at On or Accessory you'll have the back light. I can't figure out what green wire that you did tap into to power it.

Within this post it talked about using a dark green wire which turned out to be one of the rear brake lights I believe since that was the only dark green I saw. I am really just looking for the ilimunation wire that turns the screens dark and puts the side lights on when the headlights go on.
His problem is he skipped step one: quadrajet

:LOL:
you like to kick a man while hes down eh
Sad Happy Hour GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014

Within this post it talked about using a dark green wire which turned out to be one of the rear brake lights I believe since that was the only dark green I saw. I am really just looking for the ilimunation wire that turns the screens dark and puts the side lights on when the headlights go on.

Sad Happy Hour GIF
Nah, I did offer you a lifeline with a generous $50 offer, plus pizza and beer if I recall... more than once actually. Not my fault inflation is affecting what it'll buy as you delay accepting :friday:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa

Sad Happy Hour GIF
In the original wiring of your car there will be three wires that went to the OE black radio plug, black for ground, yellow for the radio power in ON & ACCESSORY key positions, & what you need is gray which for the dash controlled lighting. All your dash lights (cluster, heater control, radio, '81 & older wiper switch) uses a gray wire (circuit 8). As for the dark green, only one for the tail lights is actually for the passenger rear turn signal which in combitaion brake/turn lights like our Montes (just for turn in '78-'80 Century, LeMans/Grand Am, & all exports) which might give you a better understanding of why the head unit was doing some funky light tricks. To add to things, there is a brown wire from circuit 9 in the headlight switch plug that is used to dim the digital display of the 1.5 din radios & if I'm remebering right most shaft radios with digital display. Find the gray & all should be good.

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Appreciate it boys, not sure that the factory stuff for the radio is still there. Been a while but thought the original air ride or something else the builder did was run with it since stereo was deleted. Pretty sure we had to wire in the battery, accessory, and ground for the head units but I will look for that grey. I had originally been thinking people were referring to that on the radio harness, but appreciate a former member reaching out through another to help as well
Season 3 Thank You GIF by Martin

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Appreciate it boys, not sure that the factory stuff for the radio is still there. Been a while but thought the original air ride or something else the builder did was run with it since stereo was deleted. Pretty sure we had to wire in the battery, accessory, and ground for the head units but I will look for that grey. I had originally been thinking people were referring to that on the radio harness, but appreciate a former member reaching out through another to help as well
If you need a chunk, let me know and I'll look. The 88 monte rustbucket is turning into a rebuild project afterall because I'm a glutton for punishment. But, the wiring throughout is hacked so I know someday I'll be swapping it out.

For sure the factory plugs are gone, but, might have a section of wiring from where they cut it to where ever it goes.

If you need a bit I can check, and, donate it to the cause.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
If you need a chunk, let me know and I'll look. The 88 monte rustbucket is turning into a rebuild project afterall because I'm a glutton for punishment. But, the wiring throughout is hacked so I know someday I'll be swapping it out.

For sure the factory plugs are gone, but, might have a section of wiring from where they cut it to where ever it goes.

If you need a bit I can check, and, donate it to the cause.
happy star wars GIF by Hyper RPG

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I was afraid I was going to have to make a trip down you way to fix it for you. Bad thing would been me making you go wait in that circle line that wraps around Chick-fil-a for payment of services. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor