What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
No pictures taken but stripped my passenger mirror and two front fender bumper fillers this morning while sitting on the deck watching the boats go by. On vacation at the beach house and enjoying some down time so I need something to keep me occupied. Going to start on the rear quarter bumper fillers and driver side mirror tomorrow.

61E33F3C-94CF-4B6C-9EB8-4F0731039D01.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Had just enough energy left after work today to slide under the Monte and hang the rear sway bar. Took just about the usual amount of teasing and twerking to get it into place and cooperative enough to let the bolts slide in and accept their nuts. Should have used the impact on them instead of going hand bomb but even a grade 8 can snap if over hammered. I'll know if I got them right when I wake up tomorrow and find out how badly I hurt.

For the encore, I broke the color shot, a GM Code 79 Dark Carmine, and laid down an initial coat on the lower door seam and sill and the front and rear faces. Need to see this in daylight as under the shot lights it seems too red and not enough maroon or burgundy. I do have the code plate for the color so will have to dig it out and cross check the GM code against what I have. Talking almost 40 years here so the chemistry has probably changed significantly.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
It wasn't today. Actually it was Monday evening I got the daily driver back from the diesel shop. 5 months ago they were supposed to do the mid plate in 2 weeks. Then let me know if it need Ed head gaskets. Well Monday they slapped me with a heavy bill and I picked it up. There shop is a little over a mile from mine and about a 1/4 mile from my shop it was already 300° most would say bring it back.i say they had 5 months to get it right and I'd like to get on with my life so I'm going to pull the cab and do it myself. It's going to be a learning experience to say the least but I've got to try to get it done. I've been doing a ton of research and I've decided I'm going with the C grade head gaskets studing it and while I'm that deep replacing the up pipes with 304 stainless steel. I found a kit online that comes with track tech studs and maul gaskets for $995 the felpro kit with arp studs is like $1400 and for a daily driver I don't think it matters. Tonight I'm going to my friend's shop to work on my daughter's Camaro and do a little body work for a trade. He's a Ford diesel guy so maybe I can strike a deal to get his help on the truck but if not I'll tackle it on my own. I guess I'm about to teach myself how to do Duramax head gaskets, studs, and up pipes. Good luck to me and full send!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 4 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So I must have been close as just about everything from my hair down aches! My knees feel like they are full of finely ground glass which is a fairly decent portend that it is going to rain and soon. The barometric pressure does it.

The color shot was a bust. Nice color but too close to a "beet" red for my taste. Was hoping it was darker; closer to a port or deep burgundy hue. Bother. Next step will be to color sand it down to the red primer and maybe past that to the grey subcoat. The paint shop still has the old sheets of color chips to go through so that may be the next step.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
mounted my gauges after 7 years
also chopped a part of the alternator off on the back so i can actually adjust it the full width of the bracket. A 47.5" belt is the smallest one I could use, it now has a 48" that's at the very end of the adjustment. Now I think the smallest I can use is a 46 with the added amount of adjustment. The 47.5 of course is 3x the price and has to be ordered. So now I have more belt choice.
288980576_769056210948485_769413034179867582_n.jpg
289510475_3101683596749356_5825601180430584804_n.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Also I think my temp gauge got fried when my car overheated. It reads like 110*f when it's overnight cold, and it read 230 off the highway when I pulled into my work parking lot (1/2 mile from the offramp), and I used my temp gun to check every hose, radiator, cap, water pump, Intake where sender is, not a damn thing was above 180*f, I could rest my hand on the hoses, the coolant wasn't percolating despite being like 80/20 water/coolant now, didn't act like it was hot at all. I'll get a new gauge soon to test.
Also my header tubes all read between 450-500 right off the highway, and that seems normal to me.

Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
checked once again, literally pulled off the highway like the car was on fire. same story. gauge at 230, every hose at 180 or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor