What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Referring back to a set of threads that I uploaded back in the summer, when i did the frame under my S-10, once I had chipped and stripped away all the loose rust and klingons, I first applied a coat of SEM Rust Mort and let that dry. Then I applied a good thick coat of POR 15 using both a brush for the tight places and a roller for the flat surfaces. The thing to understand and appreciate about the POR 15 is that it is not a rust killer, it is a rust encapsulater. All this means is that, when applied over a surface, it acts as a barrier between whatever rust might remain on the part and any moisture or oxygen in the air that can promote rust.

After the POR 15 was applied and allowed to set, the next layer was Krylon Antirust black. Although I could have shot this using a jamb gun, I elected to go with aerosol cans; it took 4, 2 for each side.

The final/top coat was Duplicolor semi-gloss black (I think, have to check the paint booth on that one)

Each coat had a day of drying between it and the previous layer, and it and the next layer. If you search for the thread in the NON -G forum, I also included pictures. All the shots were taken in Bay One of my garage and done during the hottest time of the day. To promote drying. I have to emphasize the time lapse between coats. It has to be there to allow each coat not only to flash but to harden. This gave me the best chance of each product "getting along" with the one below and on top of it. Too soon between coats and the possibility arose that the layers, being from different manufacturers, could have reacted poorly to each other and left me having to re-strip and do it again.

Nick

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
NB on the Krylon. it was not a gloss black ,more like a semi-gloss or even flat. I had to have it brought in as a 6 pack because, while the vendor carries the line, they did not typically stock that color. As long it stays above freezing, the stuff seems happy and will respond to being vigorously shaken (Not stirred)

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Low 60s here in Florida, took a little rip down the road and gapped some guy in a late 90s truck that came up wanting a piece. The Vortec 3fiddy and Flowmasters met it's match apparently haha.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Did this a couple of weeks ago just hadn't posted it yet. I felt this was the best way to fix that nasty hood since I wanted a cowl hood anyway.

Attachments

• 20211225_115631.jpg
    20211225_115631.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 66
  • 20220107_163617.jpg
    20220107_163617.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 71
Reactions: 6 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So the induction hood is new and just in the EPT coating that panels get sprayed onto them? Nice. You could almost do a light color sand and top it with some satin or flat finish clear to protect the black and call it a day. Sweet.

Nick

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
That'll take 6 months or better to wear off here. It'll start wearing off before you get it out of the box where you live.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Back into metal work. Oh joy.

Reactions: 4 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Started last night on this, went over the RPO's on the build sheet to see what'll still be on the car to notice after all these years that my car has RPO D60 for non recommended color combination but the car was built with 19 black paint & 77 dark maple interior which is recommended. The only interior color that would of used this RPO with black paint would of been dark blue.

EDIT: This would be easier if the build sheet had all the RPO's on it like the SPID tags. Just having the production like codes does add a challange to figure out what the set up is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor