What did you do to your G-Body today 2024

Malibu795

Greasemonkey
May 13, 2019
Unfortunately I’m running a 168 tooth flexplate, so I can’t use the LT1 starters. There is the 96-2000 Vortec truck starters though, which I’ll pick up a spare if I can’t get this 9012 Powermaster to work properly.

No shims had it sounding rough, like it was forcing itself to turn. A 1/32 shim freed it up substantially, although I haven’t checked the backlash on it.

It does sound like it’s staying engaged but it’s only once the engine initially fires, it’s not like it’s continuing to run on.
Sounds like one more shim is needed,
The BBC 454 in my 97 C3500HD has said starter, good units, it's not shimmed either 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Stay away from body lines!!

Whenever I’m sanding up to body lines, I’ll typically run a strip of masking tape right on it (this can be much harder than it sounds), then block sand up to it until there’s nothing left unsanded. Then move the tape to the other side of the line and repeat the process from the other direction. That’s how you end up with razor sharp super straight lines. Then I’ll just scuff over the actual line with some red ScotchBrite for adhesion.

Best part is, there’s no possible way to burn through on the line that way.
just tell them you're flow coating it for the win...flow coat the world!
I Did It Win GIF by Rocky
:giggle:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I hated the powermaster mini starters, never could get the shimming happy, either in/out to the ring gear or to the block. Did all the PM required checks for tooth clearance and it still made weird noises that always sounded terrible.

If this is a SBC with 153 tooth flywheel you may want to think about using a 90's style OEM LT1 starter instead. Buick Roadmaster, Camaros/Firebirds, Impalas, etc..It's a factory mini starter that fits with most headers and retains the nose cone to support the shaft and gear drive. I've had one in my 10.5:1 compression 383 for 8+ yrs with no issues.

View attachment 242032

There is also a Corvette LT1/LT4 mini gear driven starter from the 90's era that's even better (see below) but I couldn't get it to fit with my ARH headers, and it's not clock-able.

Just something to think about if you ever decide to get rid of the PM starter...figured I'd share my experience.

View attachment 242031
years ago Misfitmike63 turned me on to running a starter outta the late 90's v8 pick ups.they're super small,available EVERYWHERE and fit the older sbc's.I'll never go back to a big unit or aftermarket.I've never had an issue and never had to shim anything.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Malibu795

Greasemonkey
May 13, 2019
Took it out for a rainy test drive. Before heading north to Medina next week
IMG_20240705_121745182.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Whelp, confirmed one of them is gone. mclellan83 - remember the cool light project I'd been referencing? Whelp, it's no more so no more secret.

My 82 GN is gone. I'd had to leave it halfway here in VA due issues. First health prevented me going back for it, but, had plenty of time. Unfortunately, my wife piled a bunch of her clothes in the 496 yukon and took off back on the 25th. Hadn't been able to get the truck back from her so, couldn't get back to get the car. The place storing it had said a few days ago no rush, I could have a few weeks, but, found out that it's actually gone.

So... who knows where it went or what they did, but, had an excellent Lear interior so I bet it's already cut up. Cross off another one of the 215.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 6 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Whelp, confirmed one of them is gone. mclellan83 - remember the cool light project I'd been referencing? Whelp, it's no more so no more secret.

My 82 GN is gone. I'd had to leave it halfway here in VA due issues. First health prevented me going back for it, but, had plenty of time. Unfortunately, my wife piled a bunch of her clothes in the 496 yukon and took off back on the 25th. Hadn't been able to get the truck back from her so, couldn't get back to get the car. The place storing it had said a few days ago no rush, I could have a few weeks, but, found out that it's actually gone.

So... who knows where it went or what they did, but, had an excellent Lear interior so I bet it's already cut up. Cross off another one of the 215.
That makes me sick to my stomach, and I'm sorry that happened to you.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Installed an oversized drain plug, refilled with 10w30, took a shim from behind the WP pulley, threw on a new belt, extended the alternator adjustment bracket to gain some belt sizes, added a quart of atf, and took it on a few block test drive.
Oil pressure is good with the balance line and new bearings.
Transmission is hanging in 2nd and launches soft but will go into third of I manually shift from D to 2 and back above 30ish. Maybe the modulator line fell off...

Also, that's a bummer and a half ck80.
20240705_201639.jpg
20240705_204806.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa

What storage facility? I swear I just wanna talk to them.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor