200-4R build it's starting Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the brave is right, I'll do a rear end, engine and standard transmission......we tried to rebuild just a 2 speed power glide one time and we failed

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I like the coupe lurking in the background, peeking at it's Christmas present. I used to have a UConn hoodie sweatshirt the same shade as yours until the holes became larger than the sweatshirt, and my wife made it disappear.

Imagine how much faster your build would go without stopping every three minutes to snap a picture. Great tutorial for motivating the brave...

Your twin is all away for the winter. Can't wait till spring. This sweatshirt has seen a lot of work. It's deteriorating from the cuffs but it's my colder weather work apparel :rofl:

The pics take a bit especially trying to focus on small details.Gotta get the grease off the fingers every time for the camera but worth it if it helps someone else.

the brave is right, I'll do a rear end, engine and standard transmission......we tried to rebuild just a 2 speed power glide one time and we failed

I'll do you proud Steve. You can build the trans vicariously through me. Hopefully I'll be successful with this first.

I'm trying to pick all the little mods from different builds but man does my brain take a beating from all the info. :confused:

Reactions: 1 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC

I just got done putting my 700r4 back in my GP for the 3rd time after tearing it back out and apart because something wasn't right, and wouldn't get 3/4 shifts... got them now, but still isn't quite right... feel your pain!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I just got done putting my 700r4 back in my GP for the 3rd time after tearing it back out and apart because something wasn't right, and wouldn't get 3/4 shifts... got them now, but still isn't quite right... feel your pain!

we quit after our first attempt and stuck with standards...I congratulate you on your perseverance, did you have to buy a new gasket kit each time you tore it down

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
When I did mine the thing wouldn't even move unless you gave it gas. It acted like it had a 6000 stall converter! After getting discouraged, it sat for a year. I finally decided to pull the trans and went through it only to find I left a plate out. Put it back in the car, and it's held up. Now that you've had an issue you will always question the trans while driving, thinking it's the weakest link. I still do but I've realized if it does blow up I can get a 4L80 from the yard and be done with the trans forever! Lol

Moral of the story - Air check all of the clutch packs and try to stay positive.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
we quit after our first attempt and stuck with standards...I congratulate you on your perseverance, did you have to buy a new gasket kit each time you tore it down

the trans never really got hot enough to bond the gaskets, and I didn't use any kind of sealer on the pan, so all the gaskets did survive alright... I did end up buying a new rubber pan gasket, as I don't really like the cork all too well once they soak in some fluid...

When I did mine the thing wouldn't even move unless you gave it gas. It acted like it had a 6000 stall converter! After getting discouraged, it sat for a year. I finally decided to pull the trans and went through it only to find I left a plate out. Put it back in the car, and it's held up. Now that you've had an issue you will always question the trans while driving, thinking it's the weakest link. I still do but I've realized if it does blow up I can get a 4L80 from the yard and be done with the trans forever! Lol

Moral of the story - Air check all of the clutch packs and try to stay positive.
all the clutch pistons were working, on one of the teardowns, I realized that one of my issues was that I re-assembled the low/rev roller clutch backwards, and it rotated both ways instead of locking one way...

back to the OP, looks like there's quite a few identical parts in the 200r4 that are in the 700r4 ... some same parts, just different configuration maybe?
Darin

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
The 700 seems simular from what I have seen.

I just seems the 200-4R needs a few more tricks to make it live even with anything a little more than mild power. It still is a popular choice despite their factory weakness. I wish they were more like a th350 or 400.

I really wish the 4l80e was a cheaper swap but I have my sleeves rolled up and ready to go.

Just with anything in life something came up so the billet drum money I had saved has to go to something else. Oh well. I'll keep plugging along with want I can for now.

Reactions: 1 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I can relate to the money going to other things... that's why the Regal has been a project for about 13 years now... we do what we have to for our families

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Couple things. LOOKING REAL Good! We got yer back, but it seems you are doing fine. If you reuse that drum make sure the surface is flat. I put a cross hatch pattern on it where the band rides per Chris in his book(I did the steels too). I think it is worth the time to snap some pix. It gives you time to think and keep your hands clean. Cleanliness is very important. I wondered why you took the rings off the center support. Will you be going with teflon? I just kept the steel ones(I'll get those other ones as soon as I can) though I do know Jake pushed teflon on the center support but I never got a place to source them from.

I stayed with the seven vane pump. I couldn't see why I needed more. I did go to hard rings and a sonnax spring for the slide. A tip I was given was go with the sonnax outer spring and the stock inner spring for a little more. Band and direct clutches make or break the shifts. Must be tight but not TOO tight. Everyone I talked to mentioned "FEEL". I guess they all have so much experience but for us rookies we go by perceived feel. I know talking to different people they ranged on what was recommended but mine is still shifting well and very snappy after a year.

Keep the pix coming, it is a great reference. For those wanting to skip ahead, head over to the grumpysperformance site and check out that build thread it is OFF THE CHAIN. http://garage.grumpysperformance.com/index.php?threads/tbucket-200-4r-transmission-project.7230/
You have to join to see the pix but if you are into 2004r this guy went over the top.

Keep up the great work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor