231 V6 to 200+ HP or when swap is not a option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_White

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2012
hello i new here,i am from israel my enghlish not best but i am trying.

i got a oldsmobile cutlass supreme 87 V6 3.8 with TH350 last week.

262191_422344701168800_1433158415_n.jpg

i dont want to swap the engine because ineed a OVER 9000 tons of bureaucracy crap.

i want to tune up the engine for beginning to 200 HP.

what i need for that?

TNX

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
shalom, and welcome to gbodyforum. You want 200 hp to be in contention w/ other traffic, but the sad reality is it can't be had from that engine. I am sure ppl will be along to give their maximum hp formula, but I have never heard of someone getting more than 185 out of this engine. A more realistic goal would be to rebuild a 4.3 v6 and try to make it look factory so you can squeak through inspection. The 4.3 comes w/ closer to 190 HP and a better torque curve. With the 3.8, even the turbo setup doesn't quite make it to 200hp! Good luck on your build, and your cutlass looks very cool more pics would be welcome anytime :)

Big_White

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2012
ok 180 HP is OK too' the stock one is to weak for that car.

so what i need to get a 180 HP on that engine?

TNX/ i will post more pics soon. TNX.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
If I were you and had $$ I would try to get a 5-speed manual trans going. It's really the only thing you could do to get some way better mileage and be in contention w modern traffic patterns fast. It's expensive to do, but Much less expensive than messing w/ that 3.8 engine - which by the way most users on this board contend runs a lot better & last longer factory stock.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
well I actually have the 307 v8 in my car. The buick guys will probably see this thread soon and give you more detailed advice. There's some heads you can switch to & gain a little compression, obviously you can buy a cam, with a cam you would need the engine rebuilt however. Also you could use a MSD ignition. A posi-traction unit for your rear end would be a good thing to do also. Your car probably has 2.29 or 2.14 rear gears for example, you could move up to a higher one like at least 2.73 - 3.73 range. That would get more power to the rear wheels where you need it

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
Big_White said:
hello i new here,i am from israel my enghlish not best but i am trying.

i got a oldsmobile cutlass supreme 87 V6 3.8 with TH350 last week.

262191_422344701168800_1433158415_n.jpg

i dont want to swap the engine because ineed a OVER 9000 tons of bureaucracy crap.

i want to tune up the engine for beginning to 200 HP.

what i need for that?

TNX
שלום. ברוכים באים לאתר זה. כדי להשיג את המטרה שלך יצטרך לשדרג הילוך יחס ההפרש שלך. אתה גם צריך כדי לשפר את זרימת הפליטה שלך. זה יהיה טוב לשדרוג ההצתה שלך מדי.

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
גם יהיו כמה חלקי מנוע פנימיים תצטרכו לשדרג כגון גל זיזים. אני לא מדבר בעברית ואני חשבתי שזה יהיה טוב לשימוש המתורגמן שלי. אני מקווה שזה עוזר.

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
כדי להיות מציאותי, 200 כוחות סוס מהסוג כזה של מנוע יהיו קשים להשגה. זה לא בלתי אפשרי, אבל זה פשוט קשה יותר ויקר אפילו כאן, בארצות הברית של אמריקה.

Big_White

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2012
oh TNX thats OK, you can write in enghlish. i dont have problem with reading and understanding i have problem with speaking and writing.

after translate hard to understand what you mean.
what about a new carburator and intake?
so what i need its a headers, ignition destrebutor, and cumpshaft?
how much power all that parts put to engine? +-

can you please put some link for what i exactly need from a SUMMITRACING shop?

thank you!

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Welcome. What are your intentions for the car? Daily driver? Weekend cruiser? Any legal restraints on modifications/emissions? Budget considerations?
I'm really surprised more people haven't been making negative comments about the 231 -- So I will...
There is almost NO measurable potential in the feedback carbureted 3.8 that you have in your car. No matter how much time, money and parts you throw at it, you'll always be disappointed. Make sure it's well tuned and leave it stock. Your effort would be better spent on gearing. That will effectively increase the torque to the wheels which will make the engine feel more powerful and get you up to speed quicker. You'll probably see your mpg actually improve if you do a lot of city driving. In my experience, the carbed 231 is happiest when left the way the factory shipped it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor