Status
Not open for further replies.

smokybob

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 16, 2016
Jacksonville, FL
Well the floor boards are a total loss. The whole thing will have to be cut out and replaced. The driver side has several big rust holes, the passenger side has big FIBERGLASS patch panels! They're not even good patches, they look like sh*t! So back to the body shop soon, I'm thinking its gonna be a couple grand in welding work. FML....

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Well the floor boards are a total loss. The whole thing will have to be cut out and replaced. The driver side has several big rust holes, the passenger side has big FIBERGLASS patch panels! They're not even good patches, they look like sh*t! So back to the body shop soon, I'm thinking its gonna be a couple grand in welding work. FML....

That really sucks man. Look on the bright side, it'll be better than new when you're done with it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
great cond RUST FREE 79 floor pan,with great cond ac/heat cover and brake booster(you need it,yuck;))---375.23 shipped.pm me if interested.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
either invest in a case of wd40 or get another rust free frame and build it up the way you want,then swap bodies.and yes we have rust free frames as well;)

smokybob

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 16, 2016
Jacksonville, FL
Well i am make some slow progress of stripping the car. How do i get the backseat out? I am cleaning up the engine bay nicely, got the brake lines off, A/C lines, and power steering pump out. Took the hood hinges off(bent beyond fixing) overflow bottles are out. I sprayed some zing rust fighter spray paint on a bunch of surface rust, i hope that holds it off. So i found rust eating at the door frame, can this be fixed?

Also, on both doors, the linkage to the door locks are missing. Where can i find these?

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Backseat base - lower: push the seat rearward to unhook.
Upper - Couple of bolts at seat back brackets on floor, then lift up to unhook(?)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
So i found rust eating at the door frame, can this be fixed?

Have to ask....If the floor pan and door frame is this bad, what does the frame look like?
May be worth finding a better body to start over with.
I've gone this route with the 79 Monte Carlo in my avatar. Found rot in the roof, structural areas of the "A" pillars, frame and most of the body mounts.
After a 5+ year search I purchased a 13,000 mile replacement which came down the same assembly line 22,000 units later.
Needless to say the avatar car will give up all the goodies added to it for the replacement car.
The cost to repair the black car would have been twice the purchase price of the replacement car.

Not the answer you may want to hear but, having been there it may be a less expensive option.
Best of luck!
Bob S.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
Stay encouraged. I was in a similar position. These are a couple of pics after I realized I was in store for a 60% floor job (not to mention the quarters, t-tops, rocker panels, etc.). But like someone said earlier, it will be like brand new when it's done.....so worth it.

I'm in a restoration for similar reasons.....I agree, this can be very therapeutic.

Attachments

• Floor Patch.jpeg
    Floor Patch.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 238
  • Patch.jpeg
    Patch.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 255
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor