BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

Looks great! Love the color, I am partial to Grey's also. I also like the hardware on the fenders to core support, I was thinking of going that route. Hopefully you get the hood spring worked out.:-[
Thanks Jim! I can't wait to see the car painted with the black trim, should look pretty evil. The fender washer i found on ebay years back from a place called zier products. At the time he was only making a few metric sizes, but i had to order more last week and he now has some sae sizes now too! Pretty nice product for the price considering they are a fraction of what billet specialties, ring brothers want for theirs!
I will figure out that spring buddy, stupid little piece needs mods....whats new lol!

Thanx for the tip, I'll check them out and see what I can find! Can't wait to see it all come together!

Went to the local yard on a whim yesterday with very minimal tools....bad idea as i happened to come across an astro van with the rubber boot still in place from the factory! I gave er hell trying to get the shaft off but didn't have a pry bar to persuade the shaft off the gearbox....and got kicked out since it was closing time.
Undeterred, i went back today with the proper gear in hopes it would still be there. Luckily it was, and 15 minutes later i walked out spending $13.87 for a shaft that still looks new, u joints look great, and the grease on the shaft looks great!!!! Hopefully i will get it modified this weekend and have it ready to swap it out either before or after paint.
20161201_150943.jpg

Another small update, i had a little garage time yesterday to work on my bodyguy's C10 chassis in prep for repaint, did some undercoating removal from a 69 amx which will be badass once done. Also got the astro shaft modified which was pretty easy, only took a few minutes to pop the upper end off, clean the splines and reinstall. Had my brother n law weld it back in several stages as to not overheat the grease in the u joint (i can weld a little but have to grind like a madman to pretty it up). I know the shaft only needed a few tacks, but i want the mod to look factory so i grinded the welds to smooth it out. Still have a little more to do before paint, but i ran outta time....happy with the result so far.
20161204_083727.jpg
20161203_171609.jpg

Another round of boring updates boys! While the cutlass is in temporary hibernation I've been spending time cleaning up parts. Picked up my roof rail weatherstrip channels and have been scraping off the 30 year old weatherstripping that's leftover. I got new channel screws and sealing strips yesterday that will get installed once the cutlass gets paint.
I've also spent some time the last couple days prepping my astro shaft for paint. After grinding down the welds there were some pinholes so i picked up some 3M glazing/spot putty that's sandable and paintable. Took a couple thin coats and more boring sanding but I'm happy to say its ready to be primed and painted. I know, i know, its just a steering shaft upgrade, but my OCD customizing tendencies wouldn't allow me to just tack, paint, and install it. I want it to look custom, as if the upper half is one piece...i have the time so might as well do it right now rather than be unhappy and have to do it over! I plan on painting it next time i get to the shop where there is heat....too damn cold in KY now to paint outside.
20161211_124911.jpg
20161211_140013.jpg

Now you have to smooth out the rest of the casting so it matches.

Details details details.
The devil's in the details.
:twisted:
As Sam Foose told Chip growing up, "pay attention to the details!"

Looking good Scott, your OCD (like mine) will pay off in the end. It's attention to the little things like that that will set you apart from others.

I love doing little mods like that, they're nearly free and can be very rewarding when it all comes together and looks the way you want.
Keep up the good work my friend!
:friday:

Details details details.
The devil's in the details.
:twisted:
As Sam Foose told Chip growing up, "pay attention to the details!"

Looking good Scott, your OCD (like mine) will pay off in the end. It's attention to the little things like that that will set you apart from others.

I love doing little mods like that, they're nearly free and can be very rewarding when it all comes together and looks the way you want.
Keep up the good work my friend!
:friday:
That's correct Donovan! I always say I'm "Foosing" it lol! There really is something rewarding about spending time on the little mods to add that extra effort and custom touch.
Alot of my buddies tell me i need a strapped jacket and a padded room, but these are the same friends that just throw their sh*t together and don't care how it looks as long as their hotrods run!
Doing this stuff as you definitely know takes time, but is cheap to do with a little elbow grease.

As I've said before....when my cutlass finally rolls out i want it to be unique, one of a kind, and no others like it....and if it takes doing mods like this to separate it, so be it!
As always, thanks for the support my friend, I'm hoping to have more updates in the near future....hopefully some blacked out parts finished!

That's correct Donovan! I always say I'm "Foosing" it lol! There really is something rewarding about spending time on the little mods to add that extra effort and custom touch.
Alot of my buddies tell me i need a strapped jacket and a padded room, but these are the same friends that just throw their sh*t together and don't care how it looks as long as their hotrods run!
Doing this stuff as you definitely know takes time, but is cheap to do with a little elbow grease.

As I've said before....when my cutlass finally rolls out i want it to be unique, one of a kind, and no others like it....and if it takes doing mods like this to separate it, so be it!
As always, thanks for the support my friend, I'm hoping to have more updates in the near future....hopefully some blacked out parts finished!

Yeah, I've had friends like that over the years too. Don't give a rats *ss what it looks like, just as long as it goes fast. They were usually race car guys.
Lol
Your Cutlass is definitely already unique and one of a kind in my eyes, and I mean that in the sincerest form of a compliment. The time, thought, attention to detail, and craftsmanship firmly cements it there IMO, no question. You should be very proud with all you've accomplished already. I'm eagerly looking forward to the finished product, or at least to see it with its new paint scheme. It'll be killer, I already know.

No worries on the support my friend, that's what we do, and that's what we're here for.
🙂
Already looking forward to the updates!

Donovan

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor