Best EFI Conversion gas tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy girl

Apprentice
Oct 11, 2014
I have a GN tank with a racetronix sender/ pump with a walbro 450. The gn tank is a spectra . This is in my 83 cutlass. Supercharged ls . Works great, but is a little slow to fill ,like it doesn’t have enough venting .

Reactions: 1 user
Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
What about using a different sending unit in the stock tank. Read this thread.

Reactions: 1 user

Jimmy girl

Apprentice
Oct 11, 2014
You can , but you should have a fuel injection tank for the baffle. Some drop in set ups like the stealth , have there own ,

ghostlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Hey, to the guys running the Aeromotive Gen II Stealth tank, I just mounted mine tonight and wtf? The sending unit is right smack where the tank mount brace is?!? You guys have this same issue? What were they thinking, they claim it’s a direct fit unit. I’ll have to cut away part of the brace to get this to work, although I’m reluctant as it may have some structural connections to the trunk? Really disappointed.

Are you serious. I'm installing mines this weekend. I hope I don't run into the same issue.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
The EFI factory baffling doesn't work very well. That's why I would recommend something more like a Hydramat.
Tell that to all the Buick guys running factory tanks. The factory baffled tanks are still the best.

Attachments

• 68252133.jpg
    68252133.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 155

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Tell that to all the Buick guys running factory tanks. The factory baffled tanks are still the best.
Yeah, and I bet they're not sumped with external pumps either, right? I'm telling you from a ("spirited") daily driven experience. Go around a traffic circle or exit ramp with less than 3/8-1/2 tank, and the engine will shut off. I try to keep the tank above that.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
$40 weld in sump, I'm on my 3rd conversion. And it will run out of fuel at 1/4 tank when cornering hard or doing donuts. Fortunately it's not a hand crank or push start.

• Haha

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Yeah, and I bet they're not sumped with external pumps either, right? I'm telling you from a ("spirited") daily driven experience. Go around a traffic circle or exit ramp with less than 3/8-1/2 tank, and the engine will shut off. I try to keep the tank above that.
Correct, most guys will run a single 340 or larger pump in the stock GM baffled tank. Some of the higher powered guys will run dual 340's in the stock tank.
Get on one of the turbo Buick boards and argue with them.
It's very rare guys run external sumps or external pumps unless they have sub 9 second car. I have had a 10 second 87 Buick and I ran stock lines, 340 pump and never had an issue and it was my daily driver for a long time. I never had a problem with the engine shutting off on turns when then tank was at 3/8 to 1/2. When I raced it I always raced with an fairly full tank. We can agree to disagree but there are also a lot of Buick guys with 10, 11, 12 second guys that would also disagree with you. Now if it was an aftermarket replacement internally sumped tank you would get mixed reviews as the general agreement is that the GM baffles are superior.

Last edited:

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Mine is a factory, TBI Monte tank. The "baffle" is just a bucket spot welded to the bottom, about 1 1/2-2" tall. Are the Regal tanks different? I'd be willing to try one, as it would be cheaper than the Hydramat I am considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor