EFI to carb

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
i pulled my hot air turbo motor out of my t type and droped a 350 vortec engine in it and need to know what to do about fuel

i dont want to spend an arm and a leg, i read tbi pumps with a regulator works great and i could get a pump out the junkyard for next to nothing and a regulator whatever they cost but dont want to go that route and not work

i read a return and my fuel pump which makes 40 psi and regulator wont work good

i also read bad things about out of tank electric fuel pumps

what did you guys do?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you can throw a carb on it until you decide something different. I run my vortec with a carb and it goes quite nicely

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
If your car already has an in tank pump just stick with it. Buy a regulator with a return if your pump has a return and set the fuel pressure per the carbs owners manual usually anywhere between 4-6psi depending on application.

If you find your pumps psi rating is too much for the regulator I am sure you can swap the pump out for less psi pump.

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
CHRIS.O said:
If your car already has an in tank pump just stick with it. Buy a regulator with a return if your pump has a return and set the fuel pressure per the carbs owners manual usually anywhere between 4-6psi depending on application.

If you find your pumps psi rating is too much for the regulator I am sure you can swap the pump out for less psi pump.

that was my thoughts when i first started this but then i herd from someone that im gonna get trouble cause regulators never work and then i started to google and search and a couple of people say the same so now i got my panties in a bunch lol

and yea its gonna be carb but the block has the spot to bolt a fuel pump but not the right cam to work it or thats what i thought, its from a 97 suburban oh yea and i had trouble with mounts but the engine side top side worked great and the motor looks like i will clear alternator and air cleaner easy

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Ya the cam won't have the lobe for the fuel pump pushrod. You can get aftermarket cams that will if you are interested in replacing the cam. Rollers are not cheap though.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The mount for the pump is still there but the hole for the rod is not drilled and it should have a roller cam if it's a 97

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
im not a master of cars yet but want to be lol what exactly is a roller cam? one that spins a fuel pump? and if your sure it already has one do i just drill the hole? i know what you mean i think it already kinda has it just not all the way through

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
i dont really want to change the cam only because the 3.8 i rebuilt before the pushrods and rockers were a snap to put on but the 350s seem like another story. i was reading that guys forum about the 355 in a el camino or something both you guys posted and he messed up somewhere and only got 500 miles out of it

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
a roller cam has the lifter with rollers which has less friction than the flat tappet style. I swapped out the flat tappet cam for a roller cam this spring and it wasn't that difficult but you should already have a roller cam, they started in 96 with roller engines in trucks. If you have the vin number from the truck it came from the 8th digit would K for the roller engine. I wasn't suggesting drilling the block to make a hole for the fuel pump rod, I would just get an electric pump

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
I would just buy an electric pump. Drilling the block and buying another roller cam with the lobe for a mechanical pump on it will cost too much money. You could buy a nice fuel system for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor