Help please! My 1982 Malibu Classic wagon suddenly runs terribly

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Fuel filter change: Can you get the box end of a combination wrench over the fuel filter? If the 2bbl has hex flats, find a wrench with six flats on the box (closed) end. That will grip it better so it does not round off on you. If it's floppy, try the near size metric version to see if you get a tighter fit (less likely to round off...)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Luke's82

Apprentice
Dec 31, 2015
Well, good news. I replaced the vacuum lines that were cracked. I used fuel line as it was the same dimensions. The first couple minutes of running, I heard a high pitched whine where I connected my new vacuum line as far as I could tell. Then the noise went away. Do I need metal clamps to hold them tight? They seem to be pressed on pretty good without any. Anyways.... the good news-The Malibu kicked down and idled today without dying. Also I ran it thru the gears and it stayed running. I also shut it off and restarted it a few times. I drove it around the block and it seemed fine. If I rev it when cold it still has some stumble/bog, hopefully a new fuel filter will help. Exhaust still sounds choppy once in a while, I think I will ditch the converter just for piece of mind. Can I just clamp in a new piece of pipe?

On a different subject, my friend put on the E-brake. You guessed it, the cable is rusty and the E-brake is stuck on.... I looked underneath and I see that the right side cable has already been cut at the backing plate. How can I get the E-brake unstuck from the left side? I don't really need it as I never park on hills. Can I simply cut the cable as close to the backing plate as possible?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I think you should fix the E brake, the E stands for emergency and not for parking on hills

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I may have a spare set of backing plates and cables. Everything but the backing plates can be changes without taking the axle shafts off, which requires taking off the differential cover and pulling the C-clips. I'd get in there and figure out what is broken and replace it. If you have a brake failure due to an old hose or rotten steel line, the transmission does not have a lot to offer to make the car stop in a hurry.

Luke's82

Apprentice
Dec 31, 2015
For a little piece of mind all the lines are new on my malibu. Can I cut it so I can drive it temporarily until I can fix it?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Where is it hanging up? If the brake shoe linkage is bound up inside the drum, cutting the cable will not solve the problem.

Luke's82

Apprentice
Dec 31, 2015
How can I tell where it's hanging up? The cable looks rusty. The brake shoes and hardware is newer.

Luke's82

Apprentice
Dec 31, 2015
Also, the fuel filter is still very stuck. Pemetrating oil has not helped. It's rounding out even with a line wrench.]

It almost stalled backing uphill into my garage today. Real low crappy idle., then it smoothed out. It was running rich I could smell it. If I can get the filter off I will run the carb put of gas as suggested.

Luke's82

Apprentice
Dec 31, 2015
Vacuum lines got replaced and temporarily helped. Now back to same old stalling. ?? I fixed the e brake by the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor