Help please! My 1982 Malibu Classic wagon suddenly runs terribly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke's82

Apprentice
Dec 31, 2015
That is very good mileage. I was doing quite well with my gas mileage even with stock equipment on mine.

Luke's82

Apprentice
Dec 31, 2015
This plug to check the engine codes on my wagon looks different than the one posted above... which is A&B? It doesn't have as many terminals as the one posted.

Attachments

• 20160122_142701.jpg
    20160122_142701.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 275

Luke's82

Apprentice
Dec 31, 2015
It has a code 42, which I believe is : Bypass or electric spark timing (est) circuit.

What should I begin to check?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK

Attachments

• dtc42.pdf
    480.4 KB · Views: 338
  • dtc42-page-001.jpg
    dtc42-page-001.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 322
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Luke's82

Apprentice
Dec 31, 2015
Thank you, I am still a little confused even with the diagram. Can anyone write out in more detail what to do? Or some pictures would be helpful.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
It's all pretty much laid out in the GM procedure. Perhaps somebody local to you can help if you don't know what the chart is referring to? An OE service manual is an invaluable tool when you are dealing with post 80 GM cars, and they can usually be bought on ebay pretty inexpensively.

I am NOT advocating replacement of parts using a shotgun approach, but the most likely culprit is the HEI module. However, there could be other issues, and I would advise going throught the GM flow chart to rule out replacing good parts. Only tools required will be a jumper (paperclip, or piece of insulated wire stripped on both ends), a test light, and a multimeter. The light and meter are both pretty inexpensive....you can get a free meter at harbor freight with a purchase and coupon. It's not a Fluke, but works for this kind of stuff.

To clarify the procedure, the "test" terminal referred to is terminal B on the ALDL, and terminal A is connected to ground, so jumpering A to B grounds the test terminal. Terminal B is sometimes referred to as the diagnostic terminal.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thank you, I am still a little confused even with the diagram. Can anyone write out in more detail what to do? Or some pictures would be helpful.

print the chart and follow it's directions. It should make sense to you as you go through the steps while working on the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor