Sean's 78 Camaro Z28

Should we leave the wheels grey or paint them body color?

• Leave grey

• Paint blue to match the body car, the way the car was when new

Results are only viewable after voting.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the write up. We're really proud of what we accomplished. It's not perfect but it has come such a long way. Sometimes I still can't believe it is the same car. The weather has been nice here the past few days so he's been driving it to work. We had a really wet winter so it's nice to see him get to enjoy the car and for it to get some excercise.

Reactions: 5 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm glad it's being driven and not just parked to be admired....:)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm glad it's being driven and not just parked to be admired....:)
We believe it driving them. He does try to keep it out of bad weather just because we like the underhood and undercarriage to look pretty good and it's a pain to clean everything after a torrential rain. If it happens, though it happens. We still want to take all three cars on the PowerTour. We just need Dad to send his car off to paint and I need to get back on mine.

Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
YES, YOU DO...

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
YES, YOU DO...
I know it. I'd love to get the truck out of there. Still waiting on a tune. Believe me, I will be hitting that project hard over the fall and winter. I may suck it up and work on it over the summer with a big fan but to be honest, that doesn't sound appealing to me. At the least, Im going to be working on stuff like building my steering column.

Reactions: 2 users

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Awesome thread and awesome car. I absolutely love it.
You guys did a fantastic job. I read this entire thread today. Lol

Reactions: 1 user

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Great car and top notch job on the restoration.
I love those 2nd gen Camaros. My brother and I both had '78s in the late '80s.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Awesome thread and awesome car. I absolutely love it.
You guys did a fantastic job. I read this entire thread today. Lol
Great car and top notch job on the restoration.
I love those 2nd gen Camaros. My brother and I both had '78s in the late '80s.

Thanks for the interest and the kind words guys. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. It got past me. No real news on the car. My brother continues to enjoy it when he gets the opportunity. It's nice having it 'finished'.

Reactions: 5 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
We worked on the Camaro yesterday. Sean was having trouble with the passenger window hitting the roof rail trim, towards the back of the opening. I had known about the problem for quite awhile and have just been absorbed in my own projects (the 4L80E swap in the truck, fixing the truck when it got wrecked and now the Roadmaster). Recently, I clued in that he didn't want to drive the car if he thought there was a chance he would end up with a passenger for fear of damaging the window or the car getting the door open and shut. That spurred me to move this project up front. I had him order some parts about a week ago (door panel clips, a rear upper window stop, and the rear roller for the window). The weather was spectacular here in Houston yesterday so I decided I'd rather work on this window than go back to the storage for another installment of fighting the LT1 in the Roadmaster. We got the door panel off pretty cleanly. Unfortunately, I did pull one of the metal clips out of the panel and Sean had to make a repair. This wasn't the first repair we've had to do. Those panels are pretty fragile. They're basically cardboard....
02-02-20_06.jpg

Thankfully, we had our shop dog out with us for encouragement....

02-02-20_05.jpg

We got the vapor barrier pulled off and started trying to figure out what was going on. We had replaced this window during the Camaro Thrash in the spring of 2018 and had it working and adjusted nicely. At first, I thought the power window motor was overcoming the upper stop in the rear but thankfully, Sean spotted the problem. The rear roller was working loose from the glass. It is a similar setup to the G-body and is pretty typical of GM of that era. The roller passes through the glass and is secured on both sides of the glass with large washers. The back side has two holes for a special wrench to grab.....
GWR-070.jpg

With that loose, the roller was hitting the upper stop but the window would continue upward taking up the slack in the loose components. We had the tool but I figured getting the 'nut' tightened up with the window in the door would be fun. I initially tried using heavy grease to suspend the nut in place while I reached in with the wrench to get on it but that didn't work. Sean came up with taping the tool to make it fit the wrench tight and that worked....

02-02-20_03.jpg

It still wasn't easy. I often refer to my left hand as "just a club".....

02-02-20_02.jpg

Still, with some patience we got it tightened up. I slightly adjusted the rear stop downward and we also put a little high density foam behind the weatherstrip at the top and rear of the window to help "fur it out" and that has the window shutting even better. I didn't snap a picture of the panel back on the door but there are already pictures of that in the thread.

After we were done with the passenger window repair, I poked my head under the hood. It's amazing how clean the engine compartment has stayed. I'm really happy with how we got the battery tied down better during the thrash week. All the fluids looked good. Everything looked good. I checked and aired up the tires and he put the car away for the day. Oh, we noticed it has what we believe is the first rock chip on the front bumper cover. We're not happy about it but it is what it is. This car is driven and that type of thing is going to happen. I still have trouble reconciling the fact that this is the same car we started with back in 2006.

That's it for now friends. Thanks for the interest.

Best,

Jared

Reactions: 9 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I've never had that tool but I think what I use may have helped you. Whenever I have to deal with those nuts I have a long handle (about 12") 90° needle-nose pliers. I just open them up so the tips fit in the holes and use them like a wrench. I always figured there was a tool but my way works so I just went with it.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor