What did you do to your G-Body today? [2011-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed my modified crossmember and spent some quality time with the B body wiring schematic book. I was able to get all the wiring broke out where it needs to be and the harness wrapped. Now I need to order some 10ga weatherpac connectors for the fans and run the wiring for the fuel pump.
IMG_1861.JPG
IMG_1862.JPG
IMG_1863.JPG
IMG_1863.JPG

removed the driveshaft, crossmember and slid the transmission back. Took the Howe throwout bearing out and looks hte o ring is the problem so I'll get a kit to rebuild it. But to get the GP back on the road I removed the bellhousing to put the fork in and throwout bearing, installed the transmission and slave cylinder and called it a nite. All that is left is to bolt in the crossmember, driveshaft and fill the fluids...and inspect everything, then it's back on the road...I should have had it back on the road tonite but I turn 65 next month so I figure it's time to slow down a bit....🙂

Last edited:
steve, I admire your determination ! You got 20 years on me and the frustration alone of the repairs you have had to do this last year would make me leave the car untouched for weeks ( as some sort of punishment I guess )

Finally got that damn kickdown cable installed. Also cleaned up a bit in the transmission area. As for brackets, I'm SOL there. 5 different BOP and chevy brackets from the junkyard later, I wound up modifying one that bolts to teh back of the carb from my dad's 350 Olds out of his '81 GP. Works pretty good, throttle cable isn't at a 45 degree angle anymore. Still need to set the kickdown cable hole farther back towards the firewall to make it work properly, but it's in there. Now my car will stop leaving a triple homicide every few days. 😀

steve, I admire your determination ! You got 20 years on me and the frustration alone of the repairs you have had to do this last year would make me leave the car untouched for weeks ( as some sort of punishment I guess )

X2 ..ok only 10 years on me , seeing what you gone thru just the last few months is impressive.You do more in an afternoon than I manage to do in a year.

as an example I am on day 3 of what start off as a simple replace the fuel filter in the Q-Jet on the Cutlass........sure the filter replace was straight forward.........its replacing the pump to carb fuel line I destroyed in the process that is my challenge .

and since we love a picture ,attached is the old filter cut open..............thats ethanol gas at its finest

hats off to you Steve ...and Happy soon to be Birthday.

Dave

Attachments

• 442 fuel.jpg
    442 fuel.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 195

thanks, I don't see as work, it's more like a hobby and working on circle track cars for years it's nothing the switch out rear ends or clutches or just about anything. As far as the hydraulic throwout bearing I knew I was taking a risk by using after it sat around for a few years. The only mistake I made was thinking I could just move the transmission back, remove the hydraulic bearing and slide the fork in but the fork won't fit with the pressure plate in the way so I had to remove the bolts for the bell housing to get the fork installed. Then when I was finished tonite I had a no start issue. Turned out to be one of the wire going from the MSD box to the distributor had a bad connection so once that was fixed the GP is back on the road...🙂

X2 ..ok only 10 years on me , seeing what you gone thru just the last few months is impressive.You do more in an afternoon than I manage to do in a year.

as an example I am on day 3 of what start off as a simple replace the fuel filter in the Q-Jet on the Cutlass........sure the filter replace was straight forward.........its replacing the pump to carb fuel line I destroyed in the process that is my challenge .

and since we love a picture ,attached is the old filter cut open..............thats ethanol gas at its finest

hats off to you Steve ...and Happy soon to be Birthday.

Dave

thanks, but I havn't celebrated a birthday in decades, it's just a number that I really do ignore and only mention it sarcastically. I don't own that book that tells you what you should be doing at the age you are at... as for my car if nothing broke it'd be boring, I don't own a tv and watch it very rarely so my car gives me something to do and when I'm working on it I actually enjoy that, most of the time.

took a drive to Toronto to pick up a new Centerforce disk for $75, the one in my car shudders a bit so some brake fluid from the hydraulic throwout bearing got on the disk. I'll try to clean it up and keep it as a spare. I ordered the seal kit for the bearing but I'm havign second thoughts of using it again Since I was headed to Toronto I dropped off my buffer to my son wanted to borrow it and he lives in TO. Then we went out for a late dinner and a beer with his fiance. GP ran great and it was a blast having the t-tops off....🙂

Reactions: mr evil and drogg1
the new clutch disk got contaminated with the brake fluid from the hydraulic throw out bearing when it blew an o ring. It was chattering really bad so I changed the disk tonite with the new Centerforce disk I bought this week. It took longer than expected so I quit at 2 am and I'l finish up tomorrow. Just have the driveshaft to put back on, top up the transmission and then back on the road...🙂

Installed a dipstick tube from my old V6 into my 350. Old one was apparently missing the top half although I don't know how that can happen. Cut a little off the end that sticks into the motor about 3/4 of an inch to match the depth of the old one. Popped right in there. Both have a 5 quart capacity so that shouldn't be a problem. Now all I need is a dipstick. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor