What did you do to your G-Body today? [2011-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have a busy day yesterday, had to be in POA court for a plea deal at 9:30 am, then headed to an out of town court for motion court for 10 am and then a trial on another matter in the same court. On my way out to the court out of town I was in a rush and although I do not street race or drag race biut I had to take off pretty quick at a light to get ahead of some traffic before the lanes merged. I made sure I didn't get any rubber taking off but I was very surprised that I actually got a good chirp going into 2nd without trying. I have 3.08 gears in the rear so it's not set up to launch. That new 1978 carb is really working well and really helps to make the GP a blast to drive....:)

Reactions: 1 users

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
HOOD IS ON
14224934_10206495475735282_4748633609125770432_n.jpg
14224686_10206495475895286_5878548902213820682_n.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

SUBLIME80BU

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2016
303LOCAL
does walking around the car staring at it count? i put in about 2 hours stare time waiting for parts this week.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Bought the proper code touch up spray bomb. I sprayed a little into a sealed jar and from that I'm dabbing paint with a toothpick into cleaned out stone chips.
Oh yah, almost forgot. I went for a drive in the industrial area and hammered it from a standing start - those 180 horses were able to break the rear wheels free.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Drove the GP to my son's new house to help them out, then went to my grandson's hockey try out, then back to my son's for pizza and one beer.....and then back home..:)

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I swapped out my rear gears from 2:73 to 3:23's. That should help at the boat ramp. I always advise against guys just "slappin' them gears in" for good reason. I know what I'm doing, I have all the right tools, and it still took me many, many hours to get everything clean, installed, and adjusted properly. I spent an entire day just getting the backlash and pre-load on the carrier just right. I elected to do it in the car so that meant getting the whole car up high off the ground and letting the rear hang down. Because I've done it so many times I worked around that but if I had more time I would have dropped the entire rear out and did it on a bench. Even then it's a big job. Today I will fill it with oil and listen for expensive sounds.

Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Ok, I filled it with oil and tested it while up on blocks. Seems nice and quiet. The chattering I did hear was coming from the transmission. I checked and topped off the oil in that too. Then I spotted a broken exhaust hanger and fixed that. Lubed up the clutch linkage while I was down under there too. After all that I dropped it down and went for a ride. NICE! I can just take my foot off the clutch and the car won't stall. No gas pedal needed. And I can start off in second gear almost as easy as I did in first with the 2:73 gears. I'm sure I'll loose some top end speed and see a mileage penalty, but I don't do much long distance trips anymore. This is a towing/fishing/hauling car. If this works out at the ramp then maybe I won't change over to an automatic. Man, I wish I had this set up when I was learning how to drive. My Dad would find he biggest hill he could and make me learn to start from a stop on it- with a POS 59' Bug.

SUBLIME80BU

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2016
303LOCAL
My Dad would find he biggest hill he could and make me learn to start from a stop on it- with a POS 59' Bug.
my dad did the same for me, but it was a POS 58' willys! that POS is now my POS and my sons will learn just like we did, in a POS.

Reactions: 1 user

Xdrenaline

n00b
Aug 11, 2016
Welp, today I stared at my 79 Malibu with a 350 sbc, as it sat in my driveway through the window...where it's sat for 2 months now. (I usually only have time on the weekend to work on it). There's an insufficient amount of fuel making it up to my carb and we've been doing batlle. I've replaced the fuel pump, hard fuel line, in line fuel filter and hoses up to the carb. I've rebuilt my edelbrock 1406 carb and calibrated it. Still nothing. I've honestly been avoiding the inevitable and my next step is to drop the fuel tank, replace the pickup line and the fuel line from the tank to the pump. (It's all old and needs to be replaced anyways. Like, really old but the fuel tank is new. The previous owner replaced it). Just...really...don't want to do it haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor