What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took the GN tank outside, wiped it down real good, then hit it with some undercoating, basecoat black and semi gloss 1k clear. Should match the rest of the underside once installed, and be protected from rust.
20200830_192306.jpg
20200830_195022.jpg

Spent the day grinding welds on the frame. Had to make 2 more very small patches, but the welding is done and I’m about 75% done grinding on the drivers side rail, and about 60% on the passenger side. Should finish it up in my next work session. Then I can paint it and reinstall the gas tank and make it run again. Pictures after the next round.

Primed the front parts of the frame, once again only really the areas I can't get to with the body on the frame. I'll do the firewall soon enough, once I get my damn gasket kit for the ac box.

It does lay out pretty well, even brushing it on. It does leave some streaks and brush marks if you're not careful/are lazy, but it's a frame. It'll be fine. Especially when the satin black goes on.

I did not prime areas like the engine crossmember, behind control arms, etc because those can and will be accessed later on. This engine will come out in the future, as will the front/rear suspension, those areas have been fine for 35 years. they'll be fine a bit longer.

frame3.jpg

Primed the front parts of the frame, once again only really the areas I can't get to with the body on the frame. I'll do the firewall soon enough, once I get my damn gasket kit for the ac box.

It does lay out pretty well, even brushing it on. It does leave some streaks and brush marks if you're not careful/are lazy, but it's a frame. It'll be fine. Especially when the satin black goes on.

I did not prime areas like the engine crossmember, behind control arms, etc because those can and will be accessed later on. This engine will come out in the future, as will the front/rear suspension, those areas have been fine for 35 years. they'll be fine a bit longer.

View attachment 155898
Shes coming along, and its lookin good. Should be rollin again soon!

Well over the weekend the Monte officially started its protest of all the attention to the Blazer, I had been letting the very random and just for a second check brake warning go because I wasn't sure how the Dakota's would get that info and figured it was just something to do with the temp sensor ground issue that started this all I believe. Friday night the tail lights were working on and off which I kind of pushed off since the brake lights would always come on. Saturday started with me noticing the gas gauge stayed spiked full for too long. So go add some to make sure i don't run out, once its topped off it spits some onto the bumper which then eats the paint away. Then Sunday on the way to linner I hear the rear left brake is squeaking in weird times. Not as soon as i apply it but after a second or 2 then until I stop. Does the same when I left off and apply again while still rolling. Then i get there and see that on the ridetech gauge the front left says its completely full. Come back out after and it won't go to presets because of that one reading completely full. Have to manually raise it to leave and get home where its gonna sit until probably this weekend.

Last edited:
So, Saturday I pulled the dash back out again because it is too difficult to do an adequate wiring job for the new instrument cluster. I didn't want to, but I have too many connections and wiring additions to make to be working from below and behind. I got a lot done, and I feel that in the end I will be glad that I did it this way.
When I took the cluster out, I added one each, warning light for the oil pressure, and water temp gauges. Wired them to their respective sending units, and did a general wiring simplification/cleanup on the back of the gauge set.
I have a few hours available today to work on it, so I hope to be reinstalling soon so that I can get back on the road.

Today I obtained a Buffer/Polisher and experimented with it on certain areas of the car, other wise spent most of the day underneath getting the Passenger side floor pan and other areas I can reach de-rusted and rust treated. Images are of the rust treatment that has to sit for about 24 hrs. Tomorrow I will be spraying Truck bed liner. A few area's in the Rear that need attention. I am most blessed it wasn't any worse than this.

And for those who also follow Classic G-body Garage on Facebook and Youtube, I got my T-shirt in today . . . . . And decided I was going to play show off 🤣.20200831_165416[1].jpg20200831_165405[1].jpg20200831_165020[1].jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor