What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Was supposed to be watching the Price is Right but it got interrupted by a talking head announcement that American gas imports from the Rooskies had just been suspended. Last Power Nation post put gas at $3.72/gallon and set to rise. Lucky you. Up here in the land of the frozen chosen it is approaching $2.00 per liter. Math time here; there are 4.5 liters in a gallon so us Canucks are paying, or about to pay, $9.00 per gallon!!!!! The whole liter thing is a petroleum curtain to disguise how much car owners are being fleeced for their fuel.

To put this in perspective, a 1/4 tank of gas for my S-10 costs me $50.00. At that it is cheap because that quarter tank represents a month of daily driving. If it had been my other toys, the Monte and the G-10, it'd be more like a week.

Maybe the next hi zoot biz will be figuring out how to rewind electric motors to make them spin faster and produce higher rpms for e-cars, thus making them go faster and farther on a charge. Bleah, that is about as attractive as tofu.

Nick
Then again, and american gallon is only 3.78 liters. So take that $9 and multiple by .85 to correct for volume. Now we're at 7.56. Then there's exchange rate, currently right around $1.30 to $1. So, let's divide that down, and it's $5.81

So that's high, but, many places here in the states are above $5 already, and, currently a national average of $4.18 and climbing yesterday which includes a lot of rural areas and isn't a weighted average where more expensive places selling more volume count heavier... it's just station counts one data point each.

So are you more expensive? A little bit. But I also don't know your ethanol content. Depending how much lower energy corn juice is mixed in, at $5.80 USD you may be getting a better deal.

Reactions: 1 user

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
Then again, and american gallon is only 3.78 liters. So take that $9 and multiple by .85 to correct for volume. Now we're at 7.56. Then there's exchange rate, currently right around $1.30 to $1. So, let's divide that down, and it's $5.81

So that's high, but, many places here in the states are above $5 already, and, currently a national average of $4.18 and climbing yesterday which includes a lot of rural areas and isn't a weighted average where more expensive places selling more volume count heavier... it's just station counts one data point each.

So are you more expensive? A little bit. But I also don't know your ethanol content. Depending how much lower energy corn juice is mixed in, at $5.80 USD you may be getting a better deal.
Either way we are paying way more for gas than what we should be. It was less expensive a year ago and the price was up before this Ukraine mess even started.

Last edited:

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Ether way we are paying way more for gas than what we should be. It was less expensive a year ago and the price was up before this Ukraine mess even started.
Agreed. We're up to double what we paid before the senile geriatric and is unqualified band set up residence... and about 50 cents since this time last week.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Agreed. We're up to double what we paid before the senile geriatric and is unqualified band set up residence... and about 50 cents since this time last week.
My closest station between my work/shop[ & GF's house has increased from $3.59 Sunday evening to $4.09 today.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Base octane here is 87, highest is 91. 91 is around 2.00/liter. You are right in one respect, Our quart, when there used to be one, was 40 fl oz; yours is 32, so our gallon was 160 fl oz and yours continues to be 128 fl oz. Your quart converts to 946 ml; I use Royal Purple as my oil and that is the volume descriptor that appears on the label.

What all this means is that your $4.00 US per gallon +, depending on where you live, gets you a smaller gallon by volume than we do. Even if I convert your price per gallon to $CDN, that works out to about 5.20 and remember that would be the price in Cdn for that smaller, 128 oz gallon. For our bigger gallon, which used to be 160 fl oz before the government went metric in order to pacify the frogs, it is now necessary to convert it to liters. That breaks out to around 4.5 liters to the gal Cdn. For 87 octane, my last price per liter was $1.59. Times 4.5 equals 7.16 per gallon if we were able to buy it that way. Converting that to USD equals about $5. 12.

By comparison then, you would pay 5.20 Cdn for a 128 fl oz gallon whereas we would pay 5.12 for a 160 fl oz gallon, only it won't stay that way. By the time your price per gallon gets to 5 bucks per, and it will, our price per 4.5 liter/gallon for 87 octane will have made it to well over 9.00. Do the math and we'd be paying 6.30+ US for that gallon. Where it all evens out is in the volume. You would pay what you think to be more because of your smaller gallon but we would pay a higher per gallon price and pay less overall due to our non existent gallon being bigger. What does bite us in our national A** is the cost of delivery and the tankers gouge as much as they think the market can bear and whine about it because they think they ought to get paid more.

For myself I can remember being on a run into the states and paying 3.00 plus per gallon at the pump and thinking how lucky you guys were. The exchange would have worked out to 3.90 at the time and that would have bought about 3 liters of gas; not even 3/4 of a gallon. It's no wonder that weekends around here used to be known for the procession of cars headed to the border to buy a tank of gas. Even our local reserve couldn't match it, exchange and all, and they don't pay fuel taxes.

Almost cheaper to convert to propane except I am not at all sure how that would work for a Fuel Injection set up.

Nick

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Watched it sit in the driveway. My heater doesn't work so I'm waiting for it to warm up. Technically the heater core works, but the AC fan doesn't blow. No worries.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Base octane here is 87, highest is 91. 91 is around 2.00/liter. You are right in one respect, Our quart, when there used to be one, was 40 fl oz; yours is 32, so our gallon was 160 fl oz and yours continues to be 128 fl oz. Your quart converts to 946 ml; I use Royal Purple as my oil and that is the volume descriptor that appears on the label.

What all this means is that your $4.00 US per gallon +, depending on where you live, gets you a smaller gallon by volume than we do. Even if I convert your price per gallon to $CDN, that works out to about 5.20 and remember that would be the price in Cdn for that smaller, 128 oz gallon. For our bigger gallon, which used to be 160 fl oz before the government went metric in order to pacify the frogs, it is now necessary to convert it to liters. That breaks out to around 4.5 liters to the gal Cdn. For 87 octane, my last price per liter was $1.59. Times 4.5 equals 7.16 per gallon if we were able to buy it that way. Converting that to USD equals about $5. 12.

By comparison then, you would pay 5.20 Cdn for a 128 fl oz gallon whereas we would pay 5.12 for a 160 fl oz gallon, only it won't stay that way. By the time your price per gallon gets to 5 bucks per, and it will, our price per 4.5 liter/gallon for 87 octane will have made it to well over 9.00. Do the math and we'd be paying 6.30+ US for that gallon. Where it all evens out is in the volume. You would pay what you think to be more because of your smaller gallon but we would pay a higher per gallon price and pay less overall due to our non existent gallon being bigger. What does bite us in our national A** is the cost of delivery and the tankers gouge as much as they think the market can bear and whine about it because they think they ought to get paid more.

For myself I can remember being on a run into the states and paying 3.00 plus per gallon at the pump and thinking how lucky you guys were. The exchange would have worked out to 3.90 at the time and that would have bought about 3 liters of gas; not even 3/4 of a gallon. It's no wonder that weekends around here used to be known for the procession of cars headed to the border to buy a tank of gas. Even our local reserve couldn't match it, exchange and all, and they don't pay fuel taxes.

Almost cheaper to convert to propane except I am not at all sure how that would work for a Fuel Injection set up.

Nick
Just for the sake of having it I'm on the lookout for an old Schwann's delivery truck. They ran my vortec 8100 motor, but, were propane converted. So I figure get all the parts in one spot.

So they do/did propane conversions on late model FI engines, not sure yet what they did myself.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
HUH! Interesting. Don't think it ever made it up here but if a corpse could be found in a Pick a part yard and the motor and support infrastructure retrieved, instant project.

Nick

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
HUH! Interesting. Don't think it ever made it up here but if a corpse could be found in a Pick a part yard and the motor and support infrastructure retrieved, instant project.

Nick
If you want to save some junkyard searching, just search eBay for "Impco Mixer" or "Impco carburetor". It shouldn't be too hard to get a propane mixer for most engine sizes, but a decent sized storage tank can be a little pricey.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I did a final round of back space validation testing to make sure the outer TRE has room on the different spindle/brake set-up. Fingers clearance between things so I'm good there. For reference, in the pics is a 17" wheel (steel) w/4.5" BS that I added a cardboard strip set @ the equivalent of 6" BS.

Unfortunately it might be all for nothing. I reached out to Wheel Vintiques to verify the 'custom' back-space charge was still about the same price. It is still the same but they're experiencing 'supply issues' so things are backed-up. Nothing new there but he said it's likely they won't have the 'materials' to make the wheels until late June/early July MAYBE. He said it could be longer. I figured I would go ahead & get in line but found out it would be non-refundable because it's a 'custom' order. I inquired if others paid for wheels & were still waiting & was told there were multiple that had been waiting over a year. A year? WTF?

I get putting a good faith deposit down to 'get in line' but to be required to pay, in full, because they are considered 'custom' is BS for something like this. They don't become custom until the time of actually being built. It's not a custom center; it's not a custom outer hoop.... It's a different height when setting the back spacing depth on standard size center/hoop assembly's.

So, I'm on the hunt for an alternative again but know finding 70's era styled wheels w/spec'd back spacing & <$1500 for the set limits me.

Attachments

• 20220307_175623.jpg
    20220307_175623.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220307_175618.jpg
    20220307_175618.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220307_175615.jpg
    20220307_175615.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220307_175419.jpg
    20220307_175419.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220307_175413.jpg
    20220307_175413.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220307_175413 - Copy.jpg
    20220307_175413 - Copy.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor