What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the gas tank in the S-10 hit 1/2 full which made it time to hit the gas station.

The price on the pump was $1.959 per liter, CDN. For my half tank of gas, I paid $74.92.

Got home, dug out my calculator and did the math. I pumped in 38.243 liters of gas, which, at 4.5 liters per gallon local, equals roughly 8 gallons of gas. So for my 8 gallons, I paid 9.37 per gallon.

In USD, that would be $6.15

Just to put this in perspective, the last fill was a 1/4 tank and cost me 50.00; this one was a 1/2 tank and, practically speaking, cost me 75.00. At that rate, a full tank, from almost empty to shut off click, would run me about $150.00-160.00. And the price is expected to go UP!!!

I am not a big fan of conspiracy theories but someone here is making a killing on the profits. The word for all this is GOUGE. Or, maybe USHERY. No wonder electric cars are getting so much traction.

Anyone up for the idea that the neo-barbarian ultra-right wing eco-terrorist- tree huggers are plotting to re-introduce communism and ruin the world??

(Hey, don't blame me. It's been a slow day and the next thing on the list is to fabricate a fixture so that I can reshape a vintage seat pan and remove a kink in its structure.)

Nick

You should be using US gallons for your comparison (3.8L / gallon). The guys to our south buy in US gallons, Imperial gallons are irrelevant.

As for conspiracy theory? I won't disagree with you there. Although I'm not sure it's really a conspiracy. Just any excuse in the books to increase gas prices. Hurricane, gas goes up. Summer, gas goes up. Price of oil goes up, gas goes up. War, gas goes up. Once we start screaming too loud, they drop it a bit, just enough to ease our pain, but not back down to previous levels. Oil is no where near the peak that it was back in like 2008 or whenever when it hit near $150/barrel. We're still well below that yet we're paying record prices at the pumps. Yet a company like Exxon is raking it in with an EBITA of ~$48B.

• Agree
Reactions: 383_GrandPrix
You should be using US gallons for your comparison (3.8L / gallon). The guys to our south buy in US gallons, Imperial gallons are irrelevant.

As for conspiracy theory? I won't disagree with you there. Although I'm not sure it's really a conspiracy. Just any excuse in the books to increase gas prices. Hurricane, gas goes up. Summer, gas goes up. Price of oil goes up, gas goes up. War, gas goes up. Once we start screaming too loud, they drop it a bit, just enough to ease our pain, but not back down to previous levels. Oil is no where near the peak that it was back in like 2008 or whenever when it hit near $150/barrel. We're still well below that yet we're paying record prices at the pumps. Yet a company like Exxon is raking it in with an EBITA of ~$48B.
200.gif

Reactions: 383_GrandPrix
Ah, first of all imperial gallons aren't irrelevant, they are what we used to work with up here prior to the onset of mathematical sophomoronity.
But, alright, if I allow for the smaller liter to gallon conversion, what I bought was 10 gallons of gas (US gal). The rest of the math, well, here in Canada if I was to buy that 10 gallons of gas, even at the smaller US gallon rate of conversion it still would have equaled 38 liters, more or less, and it would have still run me $74.92. If I convert that into $USD, using a conversion factor of 1.3 dollars Cdn per dollar USD then I would have paid $61.50 for my gas.

At this point the keen of count would object, saying that the US gallon, being only 3.8 liters, means that at 1.959 per liter the price per gallon for the smaller gallon would only be 7.44. Times 10 gallons or that 38.243 liters again, the total price becomes 74.44, or a difference of 48 cents. You can't buy a pack of bubble gum up here for that.

How's that you say?

Well, the smaller gallons, as you pointed out, means fewer liters to the gallon. The absolute amount of gas purchased remains the same no matter which scale of measurement is used, so the bottom line is that, whether I use a US gallon conversion of 3.8/gal or a CDN conversion of 4.5/gallon all that happens is that the gallon count rises or falls according to the conversion factor. At the till, the total cost looks different but only because one way it is calculated in Canadian dollars, and the other way in American Dollars.

Thing here is that, when our price per liter is converted to 6.15 per gallon US, Canadians still pay about 80% more. Currently the price US is around 3.72. In Canadian that is 5.31 and if we were to take that Canadian equivalent and break it down from gallons to liters it would be around 1.18 per liter which is a sum that hasn't been seen on a pump around here for many years.

Nick

Ah, first of all imperial gallons aren't irrelevant, they are what we used to work with up here prior to the onset of mathematical sophomoronity.
But, alright, if I allow for the smaller liter to gallon conversion, what I bought was 10 gallons of gas (US gal). The rest of the math, well, here in Canada if I was to buy that 10 gallons of gas, even at the smaller US gallon rate of conversion it still would have equaled 38 liters, more or less, and it would have still run me $74.92. If I convert that into $USD, using a conversion factor of 1.3 dollars Cdn per dollar USD then I would have paid $61.50 for my gas.

At this point the keen of count would object, saying that the US gallon, being only 3.8 liters, means that at 1.959 per liter the price per gallon for the smaller gallon would only be 7.44. Times 10 gallons or that 38.243 liters again, the total price becomes 74.44, or a difference of 48 cents. You can't buy a pack of bubble gum up here for that.

How's that you say?

Well, the smaller gallons, as you pointed out, means fewer liters to the gallon. The absolute amount of gas purchased remains the same no matter which scale of measurement is used, so the bottom line is that, whether I use a US gallon conversion of 3.8/gal or a CDN conversion of 4.5/gallon all that happens is that the gallon count rises or falls according to the conversion factor. At the till, the total cost looks different but only because one way it is calculated in Canadian dollars, and the other way in American Dollars.

Thing here is that, when our price per liter is converted to 6.15 per gallon US, Canadians still pay about 80% more. Currently the price US is around 3.72. In Canadian that is 5.31 and if we were to take that Canadian equivalent and break it down from gallons to liters it would be around 1.18 per liter which is a sum that hasn't been seen on a pump around here for many years.

Nick
The current price in my area is closer to $4.40/gal.

I’d like to be buying gas for my G-body today.

I’m buying it regardless of the price.

Been thrashing for days, so much to do and not enough time…….well maybe enough time if I quit posting.

I blame Mike ( motorheadmike )for too many threads of his I follow.

😉

Washed it. Used some of that Meguiars aluminum wheel cleaner. my wheels werent that dirty but it works well.
spent the 70 degree day yesterday sleeping (****ing night shift), so later today I'mma change the oil and rereredo the trans gasket.

And if you're on a coast or in commiefonia it's easily above $6 or closer to $7....

Nick, Canada was always more expensive for gas, but, right now you guys pay less than some areas of the US which is rare.

That is an extremely rare situation. But our coastal regions here also are much higher currently than areas in central Canada.

Theoretically, one would think it should be cheaper in Canada. We're by far a net exporter of oil - something like 80% of our production gets exported. And ~50% of our exports go to the US. It could be even higher, but in the last, I dunno 15-20 investment in the sectors has dried up. To much resistance at all levels of government, too much societal resistance. It seemed like only a few years ago one of the big oil companies announced some ridiculous investment number for projects in Canada - like $50B or something. And then days later cancelled it. This was around the same time there were huge protests happening around either Trans Mountain, Northern Gateway, Keystone XL, or Energy East. One of those major projects. Point being, said only company decided it would be easier/faster/cheaper to take their huge wad of cash and invest it in a place a little more friendly to oil and gas development.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor