what made YOU love long roofs?? let us know. post pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Longroof79 said:
Jim,
I'll bet you (or your dad) wish you had that '57 150 2-dr wagon today. I believe that was called a Handyman wagon..and yes, the 150 models had the simple side trim, or spear like a '55 Chevy. The 210 model had the (wishbone) trim similar to the Belair without the corrugated inserts between the trim.

Oh, I found one of those 3rd brake lights we were talking about. This one was on top of an Astro van. I opened it up and pulled the circuit board out...and I think I fried it when I tried putting voltage to it. It burned part of the printed circuit and the one resistor by itself.
Well, I guess I'll try finding another one. :?

Yeah man, he had a couple of cars worth some money today.

Sucks about the 3rd light, time to get another, lol

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
rustyroger said:
I noticed a few posts here about deleting the deflector.

It's purpose is to deflect air down the tailgate, helping to prevent exhaust fumes entering the car.
This is an important safety issue, unless your tailgate is perfectly sealed you are potentially risking your own and any passengers lives.

The bean counters at GM didn't sanction the extra cost of a deflector without good reason.

And it's a good place to mount lights too.

Roger.

Nope, purely optional equipment...as mentioned several places they do work well for keeping the rear window clear in inclement weather, though. Many malibus came without the wing...my personal white whale is the elusive roofrack/wing delete car. Someday a decent one will turn up.

Also, beginning in the late 60's/early 70s, GM cars were designed with positive cabin airflow anytime the key was on. You'll notice that the fan runs all the time, although not very fast at the lowest setting. There is no "off" for the fan. This, however, would not be strong enough to counteract the drawing-in of tailpipe emissions from the vehicle being driven with the gate or window open, which are clearly prohibited in the owner's manual. Many late model vehicles are placarded as such near the gate/window.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Ribbedroof, I remember when that decision was made about the fan being on all the time. It seems that there were a lot of CO2 related deaths because of people parking in "lover's lanes" that kept the motor running and they were found the next day dead from CO2 poisoning. Strangely, that feature is only on AC equipped cars. :mrgreen:

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
I was wrong then. :oops:

I've never seen a Gbody wagon without one, it's fair to say there are very few over here, I've only seen three and I owned two of them!.

I noticed both my wagons kept the rear glass clear when I was travelling, not much help in stop start traffic though.
Just about every wagon and hatchback over here has a rear wiper/washer.

Roger.

my1979chevy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2010
Winchester, Va
d0i8IhWF_original.jpg

I've been around cars/dragstrips all my life, and just sick of the mustang/camaro crowds. I love he strange looks I get when young guys/ricers hear my wagon start up.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Cool wagon, man.
Mine should look that good.... :roll: Nice and clean...I dig it.
Thanks for sharing the pic with us. 8)
Could you post some more of the rest of the car and what work has been done to it?

my1979chevy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2010
Winchester, Va
It has under 50,000 miles on it, 3 stage pearl white paint, zz383 crate engine, 3000 stall, 8.5 gn rear, and runs mid 12's.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
my1979chevy said:
It has under 50,000 miles on it, 3 stage pearl white paint, zz383 crate engine, 3000 stall, 8.5 gn rear, and runs mid 12's.
Very nice!

NUMAD82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2012
My dad had a 65 mercury monteray wagon with the rear fold out seat (9 passenger) that we some how fit 11 of us kids in to go camping. What really snagged me were the nomads of the fifty's. I always wondered what a nomad would look like if the factory were still making them in the 80's or even today. I think they'd look pretty sharp, at least there would be a base to go on rather than trying to create one. Long live the long roof!!

rob.c1989

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 29, 2012
My love for wagons also came in the form of my first car, which i still have. She is a 1980 malibu wagon. My brother bought it for $60. Yes, you saw that right, $60. He drove it for a while, then he got something else and he handed down to me. It had the original 4.4 267. It had a brand new water pump waiting to be put on in the front seat. The motor was so wore out, it couldn't even do a burnout! Now it has a 350 sbc with headers, 2 bbl rochester carburetor, and rebuilt heads. nothing fancy, all stock 350. It has a beefed up TH350 with a 1800 stall converter. Me and this wagon have rode around a lot, burned a lot of rubber, and had a few doughnuts in our life. As for now, she sits in my backyard. (she still runs good). I had to buy something that had a/c and that was fuel efficient, so our new son could ride with me. But, i do have hopes and dreams for this car, and no she's not for sale. lol

424.jpg

425.jpg

151.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor