Sean's 78 Camaro Z28

Should we leave the wheels grey or paint them body color?

• Leave grey

• Paint blue to match the body car, the way the car was when new

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rktpwrd

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
What is that? I've never seen one. Doesn't say much, but I do appreciate the rare weird stuff that occasionally gets put out.

Malibu S3 Laguna. They have somewhat of a cult following.

Reactions: 1 user

g3chevy

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2019
Spring, Texas
What is that? I've never seen one. Doesn't say much, but I do appreciate the rare weird stuff that occasionally gets put out.
Its a 1975 Chevelle Laguna S-3. Chevy dropped the SS model in 74 and produced these from 74 to 76. They were sold in limited numbers to the public so they could race them in NASCAR back in the day.

1976-nascar-2.jpg

Janet-Guthrie-Laguna.jpg

Heritage-Museum-NASCAR Laguna.JPG

Attachments

• Janet-Guthrie-Laguna.jpg
    Janet-Guthrie-Laguna.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Supporting Member
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Yup, that was my work in progress that he saw. The guys I met up there were F body folks as well and they commented on how well done Sean's Z turned out. I'll be sure to introduce myself next time I see him up there. Hope to see you at one of the shows too. Love to see your GP in person.
Thanks. I hope to see you out there sometime soon. I love those colonnade A-Bodies, especially the Laguna and the Can Am. Dad wanted to go tonight but Sean and I pushed pretty hard today and just didn't have the car show in us tonight.

I really appreciate the kind words on my brother's Z28. It's not perfect. We just did the best we could. I'm really proud of it and love to see my brother enjoy the car he always wanted.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Supporting Member
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
A few weeks ago my brother took his wife out to lunch in the car. When he pulled the door shut, the armrest broke at the front end and pulled off the door. A screw and some broken plastic was left on the door.

We recently had the armrest and door panel off on this side to repair loose material at the bottom of the panel. My immediate diagnosis was I must have overtightened that front screw.

We initially looked into buying a new armrest. You can get just a single (driver or passenger) armrest if you want to buy a black one and paint it. That's not what we did when we put the car together. Instead, we bought a light blue pair since they were the right color, and we needed a pair.

Painting a black one wasn't going to match and another light blue pair was going to run a couple hundred bucks. What to do?

In researching the issue I learned this failure wasn't my fault but rather, is an old, common problem for many GM models from that time, including 78-82 Malibu's.

I became aware of a repair kit that is an old fix from the time and is still available. For $13, Sean and I were willing to gamble on it. When the repair kit came in, we were delighted to find it was old stock, made in the USA.....

20210523_094734_copy_1134x2016.jpg

The back side with applications and repair instructions...

20210523_094745_copy_1134x2016.jpg

So last weekend, we fixed the armrest. First, you pull the armrest off the door as well as the front screw along with any broken plastic under it. Then you put the broken plastic back in the armrest. I didn't get a pic of the broken piece, but in doing this step I realized I wasn't at fault for the failure. I didn't overtighten the screw. The failure was inboard of it. You're just pulling on plastic when you pull the door shut. It's a terrible design. There is no good reason to buy a new armrest. It will just fail the same.

The next step is to install the metal repair sleeve....

20210523_101856_copy_2016x1134.jpg

Next you drill a small hole for a screw that goes into the plastic "chasis" of the armrest. Then install the screw.....

20210523_101849_copy_2016x1134.jpg

20210523_102519_copy_2016x1134.jpg

Then back on...

20210523_103118_copy_2016x1134.jpg

It's hard to see it. You have to look for it....

20210523_103106_copy_2016x1134.jpg

20210523_103126_copy_2016x1134.jpg

It's a great repair. We were happy enough with it that we ordered another kit last week and preemptively installed it on the passenger side today. It will never be a problem on either side again.

Reactions: 3 users

g3chevy

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2019
Spring, Texas
Thanks. I hope to see you out there sometime soon. I love those colonnade A-Bodies, especially the Laguna and the Can Am. Dad wanted to go tonight but Sean and I pushed pretty hard today and just didn't have the car show in us tonight.

I really appreciate the kind words on my brother's Z28. It's not perfect. We just did the best we could. I'm really proud of it and love to see my brother enjoy the car he always wanted.
Looking forward to catching up with you at the next one. You all did an amazing job on the Z. The blue paint job really stand out. Is that a factory color?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Supporting Member
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Looking forward to catching up with you at the next one. You all did an amazing job on the Z. The blue paint job really stand out. Is that a factory color?
Yes that's the original paint color and decal package. The light blue interior with navy blue carpet is also how it was new. The bright blue in the seats is a modification. They were light blue/navy blue from the factory. It had that style of wheels stock, but they were 15's and were body color, originally.

Reactions: 1 user
G-Body Performance Upgrades

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

ContactAdmin@GBodyForum.comfor info on becoming a sponsor