Sean's 78 Camaro Z28

Should we leave the wheels grey or paint them body color?

• Leave grey

• Paint blue to match the body car, the way the car was when new

Results are only viewable after voting.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Sean and I got the Driver's side seat for the Camaro back together on Saturday. I didn't take a lot of pictures. First, we replaced the hog rings we'd previously removed. That took a little for us to get the hang of. We'd never done it before. Next we put the lower trim on and I took the first pic...
View attachment 190043

Next we started getting the tracks back on it. One of the bolts didn't look too hot...

View attachment 190044

I don't remember it coming apart badly but the corresponding bolt hole in the frame didn't look good either...

View attachment 190045

We quickly found a good replacement bolt in the "seats and seat belts" box (exact match) on the shelf but we had to go to the storage for the thread chasers. I'm REAAALLY looking forward to having all our tools in one place.

We got the tracks installed and lubed them with a little spray white lithium grease, put on the seat back and then the hinge trim...

View attachment 190046

Back in service...

View attachment 190047

Sunday morning we got the car out and gave it a wash. My sister-in-law snapped a pic as we got done....

View attachment 190048

Back on the road!

I feel like the only good way to ops check that seat is with a massive burnout directly in front of your house to ensure the safety and security of the driver.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
You guys do great work. Nice seat repair.
Thank you! It was a bit disappointing to have this much to address only 7k miles after putting the car together but we're very happy with the recovery.

Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Just spent a ridiculous amount of time reading this thread, not sure how I missed it all these years. Can looks great!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Just spent a ridiculous amount of time reading this thread, not sure how I missed it all these years. Can looks great!
Thank you. I spent a fairly ridiculous amount of time writing it (all after the fact and based only on pictures and my recollection) so I'm glad some of y'all have enjoyed it.

• Winner

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Absolutely, it's amazing how projects can snowball, and how many years it can take to accomplish things!

• Agree

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Sean and I got the Driver's side seat for the Camaro back together on Saturday. I didn't take a lot of pictures. First, we replaced the hog rings we'd previously removed. That took a little for us to get the hang of. We'd never done it before. Next we put the lower trim on and I took the first pic...
View attachment 190043

Next we started getting the tracks back on it. One of the bolts didn't look too hot...

View attachment 190044

I don't remember it coming apart badly but the corresponding bolt hole in the frame didn't look good either...

View attachment 190045

We quickly found a good replacement bolt in the "seats and seat belts" box (exact match) on the shelf but we had to go to the storage for the thread chasers. I'm REAAALLY looking forward to having all our tools in one place.

We got the tracks installed and lubed them with a little spray white lithium grease, put on the seat back and then the hinge trim...

View attachment 190046

Back in service...

View attachment 190047

Sunday morning we got the car out and gave it a wash. My sister-in-law snapped a pic as we got done....

View attachment 190048

Back on the road!
Hog rings suck I hate when I have to do them to replace air bags in seats. I have a set of old school snap on hog ring pliers I use that make it go pretty good. My neighbor Steve dose that stuff for a living and has a pneumatic hog ring gun. That thing works awesome! However it's expensive and probably not worth buying unless you need it like every day.
That car looks amazing by the way

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Spotted this lonely Z/28 on a taco run yesterday. Made me wonder if there were any updates.
20220317_133931.jpg

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Spotted this lonely Z/28 on a taco run yesterday. Made me wonder if there were any updates. View attachment 194590
That one needs a lot of love. At least it's in dry country. There's still hope.

No, not really any news to report. The car is back in service. Sean works from home and has since the start of the damn panic. He doesn't go out and about much these days so he doesn't have a lot of opportunity to get it out. He and his wife usually go to lunch on Fridays and they normally take the car when the weather is good. Hopefully they took it yesterday.

We're coming up on time to do annual maintenance, I think, next month. It will be due for an oil change at least and it may be time to drain and refill the cooling system.

Hopefully dad will get the Galaxie back together and they'll take them to some car shows this season.

Thanks for the interest.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Last month we had to do some work on the passenger seat. It looked like we had a similar seat bun spring failure, but on both sides of the seat. I was working on the exhaust on my truck so Sean took the lead and pulled the seat....

20220409_094528_copy_2000x1500.jpg

And started pulling it apart....

20220409_095052_copy_2000x1500.jpg

In these pics, you can see the springs pushing on the leather cover in the corner....

20220409_101822_copy_2000x1500.jpg

20220409_101827_copy_2000x1500.jpg

After getting the cover peeled up, it turns out the spring broke differently than on the driver's side. It's not a sharp piece of spring poking out but has rubbed through the foam just the same....

20220409_103516_copy_2000x1500.jpg

20220409_103519_copy_2000x1500.jpg

We took the same repair approach. Bend the spring down and inward away from the seat cover, then glue a section of denim over the damaged foam....

20220409_111958_copy_1500x2000.jpg

20220409_114440_copy_1500x2000.jpg

Put it back together...

20220409_143242_copy_1500x2000.jpg

Back in service....

20220409_145624_copy_1500x2000.jpg

Around the same time, the outside passenger door handle quit working. I accused my sister-in-law of tearing it up. She didn't think it was funny. We pulled the door panel to discover the rod from the handle to the latch had come loose from the handle. The clip was a little out of shape. I'm not sure if something got in a bind and the clip gave, or perhaps this was trauma from the car getting disassembled for paint and reassembled. I don't know. I was able to bend the clip back into shape and get it all put back together. No pics on that one. Anyway, that's the latest on the car. We'll be doing some routine maintenance soon so I'll update then. Thanks for following along.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor