Rears Anyone????

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbo78

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2009
billings, montana
i guess it all depends on whos driving, whats in front of it, how often you beat on it, and other factors too. but from my experience( just my experience) they have all grenaded within a week for me. but my dad always told me to be the best at whatever you chose to do, and at that time i chose to break everything i could. :D

NAILS

Apprentice
Feb 26, 2009
THE ROCK, NY
drogg1 said:
To be honest with you I just put a 7.5" rebuilt good condition posi with new gears behind my 425hp 383 and the rear is handling it fine. Plus, total cost for installation and parts was $300-325.

Just a suggestion.

key word is rebuilt. thats what we try to avoid and can hardly do with the 7.5" - the are simply a weak rear that is not meant for heavy abuse or more than a stock 307 or 305 can put out ( which is comparable to my lawn mower)

and unless your parts were bought used and the labor was done by your kind hearted neighbor who only accepts a case of cold beers for installation, parts and labor cant come to 325. a usual culprit for blow up of 7.5 is posi failure. you cant find a good posi for under $325 or a good set of gears for under a buck http://www.summitracing.com/search/Depa ... s=Rank|Asc

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
IMO the 7.5 is a great, durable rear end. I tried everything to break my 7.5 w/ 2.29 gears in my 80 malibu. Everything from sharp turns and going in reverse and throwing into drive, leaving a smoking J-strip. I could not break that damn rear end for nothing, even after I put in a hp 350, 350 transmission w/ shift kit, and an aftermarket torque converter. Then I found a monte ss 7.625 rear end with 3.73's and I've been happy as hell with that one too. If you have it built right you will not have any problems.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Shotgun. That Malibu of yours looks damn good.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
NAILS said:
drogg1 said:
To be honest with you I just put a 7.5" rebuilt good condition posi with new gears behind my 425hp 383 and the rear is handling it fine. Plus, total cost for installation and parts was $300-325.

Just a suggestion.

key word is rebuilt. thats what we try to avoid and can hardly do with the 7.5" - the are simply a weak rear that is not meant for heavy abuse or more than a stock 307 or 305 can put out ( which is comparable to my lawn mower)

and unless your parts were bought used and the labor was done by your kind hearted neighbor who only accepts a case of cold beers for installation, parts and labor cant come to 325. a usual culprit for blow up of 7.5 is posi failure. you cant find a good posi for under $325 or a good set of gears for under a buck http://www.summitracing.com/search/Depa ... s=Rank|Asc

Yes, I installed the posi with the help of my friend who is an experienced mechanic but could have done it myself being that I don't happen to be a moron. He did not charge me anything because we are friends and I help him work on his IMCA modified.

The carrier, I bought on ebay. It was purchased from a reputable seller who is an online dealer for carriers. HE had numerous good reviews on other posi purchases. The posi had been taken apart and checked for any signs of wear or failure and necessary parts were replaced. Additionally, this particular posi came out of a V6 cutlass with 68,000 miles on it so, it could be inferred that not much damage could have been done to it during it's lifespan. I bought it for a total, with shipping, of $175. I also found a set of 3.42:1 gears for $60 total on ebay out of a V6 camaro that were in good condition from a reputable gear dealer. I purchased an installation kit from Summit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G7821/ for $90 total. I then bought 2-3 quarts of gear lube and the limited slip additive.

The total cost came to something around $350. So yes, it can be done with a bit of searching and financial incentive.

turbo78

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2009
billings, montana
WELL..... im glad you all have had such great luck with your 7.5's. i guess that means that when you see a 8.5 for dirt cheap you'll just pass it on to one of us that actually think a 8.5 is better than a 7.5 only because its bigger. :D

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
turbo78 said:
WELL..... im glad you all have had such great luck with your 7.5's. i guess that means that when you see a 8.5 for dirt cheap you'll just pass it on to one of us that actually think a 8.5 is better than a 7.5 only because its bigger. :D

It's not that i think its actually stronger than a 7.5 just a little bit harder to come by for one and the other is the price. People that have them for sale want a small fortune. :lol: At least around here i have came across one out of 442 that somebody who buys them and sells them racers beat me to it :x I have blown apart four 7.5in rears. 2 in a Astro van and 2 on my G body's, so i now how weak they can be..But i have one out of a 87Monte SS now and its held up so far... :shock: I plan on doing a rebuild on it using a Zexel Torsen limited slip with 28 spline axles, solid crush sleeve, welding the axle tubes and girdle. All in all i have under 300 in all the parts. Now i am just trying to collect the little pieces and then will be doing the rebuild myself using the stock 3.73 gears. I have never done one but it sounds fun. I hope it holds up until i find the ever elusive 8.5 or until i can afford a Moser or 9in. 8)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
85GPLef41 said:
t's not that i think its actually stronger than a 7.5 just a little bit harder to come by for one and the other is the price. People that have them for sale want a small fortune. :lol: At least around here i have came across one out of 442 that somebody who buys them and sells them racers beat me to it :x I have blown apart four 7.5in rears. 2 in a Astro van and 2 on my G body's, so i now how weak they can be..But i have one out of a 87Monte SS now and its held up so far... :shock: I plan on doing a rebuild on it using a Zexel Torsen limited slip with 28 spline axles, solid crush sleeve, welding the axle tubes and girdle. All in all i have under 300 in all the parts. Now i am just trying to collect the little pieces and then will be doing the rebuild myself using the stock 3.73 gears. I have never done one but it sounds fun. I hope it holds up until i find the ever elusive 8.5 or until i can afford a Moser or 9in. 8)

they sell the 8.5 at gbodyparts for $950 posi and $650 non posi drum to drum so they aren't hard to come by and that price is very reasonable......

http://www.gbodyparts.com/index.php?cPa ... 710971866f

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
So $950 plus shipping give or take a bill or two puts it above a grand for the posi one cuz you gotta spin both tires :lol: Its still more than what i have laying around or in may bank account right about now....Plus my car is a project i casually put money here and there til i win the lottery and totally rebuild it with top of the line components and gold plate it all. :lol: just kidding maybe i'm just really cheap and have other priorities that need to be tended to first.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm not saying it's within your budget or that your cheap but like you said some people who have them up for sale you don't know what your getting and they are asking alot more than $950...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor