200-4R build it's starting Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I may have missed some of the step by step during this final assembly but if you take a look in the earlier posts you will see the way the internals are assembled in the pre-assembly.

Here are some more of the assembly.

Sunshell, There is a 4 tang washer that goes between the sunshell and lo/reverse clutch, This is the sunshell with the front planet and sungear installed with the bronze washer and selective. I chose the silver selective to get my rear end play between .004 and .010 range. I have .007

You can check this with a feeler gauge between the snap ring and selective washer.

Direct clutch wide band. I tried to put this on after the direct drum as stated in the atsg manual but took it back out put the band then the direct drum.

I picked up a billet band anchor pin

The pin with the B is where the anchor pin goes.

Not a great pic but this is the forward drum inside the direct drum. Once the forward drum is in the direct drum it should stick out about 5/8" when properly seated.

If you don't have the tool to install the direct and forward you can use vice grips. Not to tight though. I used a piece of vinyl to protect the spline.

Before setting the forward drum and direct drum on the sun gear make sure you put in your selective tab washer. I used a 15 based off the recommendation of the trans builder.

Now this is is when I got excited a missed a pic of the direct and forward drum in the transmission. Basically you will take the direct/forward assemblies with the vise grip or tool if you have it and put it onto the the sun gear pictured above and turn it until it's seated.

Next step is the center support(Pictured behind the direct drum). Make sure the threaded holes face towards the valve body side. I did the dual feed mod which requires leaving out the center sealing ring on the center support and the center lip seal in the direct drum

Here is the center support installed. Take note of the allen bolt. This is part of the dual feed mod to block off the reverse feed for the dual feed. The other uses the original bolt. I used a dial indicator to check the play. mine was .005. The forward shaft end play cannot exceed rear end play which was .007 in my case.

I will post more of my progress tomorrow.

Thanks,

Joe

Reactions: 1 users

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Servo springs and pin. I used the transgo 200-4RHD2 kit which comes with the servo

Transgo Servo

Notice the servo orifice is at the 12 o'clock position. Trans is upside down here so make sure you get the orientation correct.

Got this clamp at home depot. You'll need it if you want it to be easy. It's hard to push in once the springs are in.

Here is the clip installed for the servo cover
20160326_184841_zpsiafuf1xp.jpg

3-4 Accumulator spring and piston. The blue are the check balls with trans jel. Make sure not to use regular grease,

Case gasket. The case gasket has a "C"

Separator plate

Valvebody gasket. It has a "VB" on it.

1-2 accumulator plate

1-2 accumulator housing, piston already in housing and spring torque bolts to 107 in. lbs

Valve body bottom check ball locations held in place with trans jel.

Last edited:

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
TV Cable bracket and lever. Only install valve body bolts by hand

TCI lockup kit. At this point you can torque down the valve body to 107 in. lbs.

I ended up just using the factory 200-4R filter and will over fill by a quart. Al ot of folks to the 700R4 filter. I may upgrade to a deep pan later but at the moment I would rather save the money for the torque converter. I will be getting an FTI esrl3082-27 with lockup 2800 stall

Befor paint

After

It really has been a great learning experience building this trans and I can't wait to put it in. Recently my car and my wifes car were due for tires and some maintenance stuff so the tc is on hold hopefully by mid june I can get it installed.

I'll update this thread again once I get it in the car,

Thanks,

Joe

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That is a fantastic write up and photos, your thread no doubt will educate and motivate others to rebuild a 200-4R...You ought to be real proud of yourself...:)

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
That is a fantastic write up and photos, your thread no doubt will educate and motivate others to rebuild a 200-4R...You ought to be real proud of yourself...:)

Thanks Steve. I appreciate it. I also got great feedback from some of the members here plus Chris @ckperformance and Dave Husek which helped greatly along the way.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Congratulations Joe.
You did a superb job on the trans, and thank you for posting a nicely detailed write up. I'm sure I'll refer to it when I finally get around to doing mine.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Congratulations Joe.
You did a superb job on the trans, and thank you for posting a nicely detailed write up. I'm sure I'll refer to it when I finally get around to doing mine.

Thank you Jack. If you have any questions let me know. I'm not a pro but know alot more that I did in the beginning lol.

Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Awesome write up, I'll be using this for sure as one of the references for my next 2004r build.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Very Nice! I'm diggin' the shiny drum and wide band. What did you set the servo clearance to? Also, what spring was that in the accumulator, Im guessing it came in a kit? Did it stick out the housing any?

Looks like you are doing fine work.

On a side note I put the 700r4 filter in mine under the stock pan. You have the connector covered on the vb switch. Should fit in yours.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Rich, for the servo clearance transgo uses washers between the servo and piston. It brings two to start with and you can remove as needed but they said do not add any when I spoke to them. Transgo was very helpful. I used the accumulator spring in the transgo kit. I really don't remember if it stuck out any from the housing.

Thanks for your input during this build you were very helpful. It is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor